Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Procrastination Meets The Deeps

I'm suffering from procrastination. Okay, it's not really suffering like being down with the flu or putting up with pain, it's more of an annoying mental nag that I can't make go away; sort of like an itch I can't reach to scratch. I try to put it out of my mind, but it keeps sneaking relentlessly back. What causes procrastination anyway? Fear and/or laziness come to mind, but I don't think either is the case this time. I think...I think...(and right there is the usual source of trouble) that it may be a mild depression or "the deeps" as I like to call the particular condition that causes life to feel flat and featureless. Son #2 has returned to Maryland after a great visit and whenever any of my kid units depart there is a void that loiters about the premises like a fog that I am unable to dissipate with just my usual routine. Hence, I suppose, my putting off the usual routine. I could definitely do with some pot, red licorice and blues music (always my formula for a cheer-up) but, red licorice is really hard to find here in Panama.

Not to worry though. I wear depression about as long as I'd wear plaid. NFL.

And speaking of the En-ef-eh-el-eh as it is pronounced here, and this time I mean the National Football League and not "Not For Long", is it football season yet? And if not, why not? It must be time. It seems like ages since my beloved Denver Broncos embarrassed themselves on worldwide television and it surely must be time for a repeat performance. The good old Blue and Orange rarely let me down in that regard and, at least, then and that way, I can be certain why I'm depressed. Go Broncos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you makin' pancakes, Papacita? If so, put some yummy maple syrup on 'em, eat 'em up, and...zippidy doo dah! Life is good. Or, as Auntie Mame likes to say, "life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Actually, that sounds like something you would say. When you were trying to cheer me up. When I was a melancholy teenager and wanted none of it. But it's understandable that you feel a little bluesy when your kids leave. We're awesome. Now take off that plaid shirt and go watch some golf. xox

Anonymous said...

Not for you, at least not this time (which was clearly a case of My-Kids-Are-So-Awesome-When-They-Go-They-Leave-a-Big-Whole-in-My-Heart-itis) ... but my theory is that procrastination is created not by laziness or lack of inspiration but by perfectionism.

Zendoc said...

Perfectionism? In my case? Be serious! I'm in search of "just good enough."