Monday, June 04, 2012

More Rain? I Think Not.

I want to talk about rain. Not the fairies tripping the light fandango on your rooftop kind, gentle white noise at worst, but rather the lake turned upside down on your head, how much louder can it get kind that has been a regular visitor to our Boquete clime of late. A truck falling from a height and coming to rest next to your ear would roughly produce the same sort of noise, but for a much briefer duration. I'm talking drown out the rock concert, can I hear myself think decibel levels, and how much water is that anyway? A lot. I like to watch it from a window. What I can see of it, that is. It rains so densely that individual drops are not visible. The normally colorless air becomes a uniformly thick gray and if it were not for the white splashing where rain meets solid surface and those places where water collects and then runs off in rills to a final destination somewhere downward, the whole show would be nearly invisible, its grayness and wake up the dead noise the only tells. Unless, of course, you wander out into it to demonstrate either “a momentary lapse of reason” or that you actually have an answer to the question, "What the hell were you thinking?" In either of those scenarios you will find that a single second from shelter is all that’s necessary to inspire old saws like "soaked to the bone" and "mad as a wet hen." So why, you are asking, why am I writing about the weather? Good question, for which I have no ready answer. Oh sure, there are things on my mind, but not things to write about; small worries, anticipations good and bad, day to day blather. No one, I suspect, really wants to hear them unless I make them funny or more than what they are; a thing I’ve been often wont to do in the past, but not of late. I need a topic to expound upon, poke fun at, construct or take apart. (I could have said deconstruct for that last, but that’s a word that needs to be deconstructed itself and thrown on an ash heap of burned academic puffery.) See, there you go, that’s what I’m talking about. Give me something I can go off on and make me a slap happy keyboard camper. What I’m saying here is that I need suggestions. Por favor. Otherwise, it’s just more rain.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you miss snow?

Are you excited for your upcoming trip?

Are you watching EURO2012? Who are you rooting for? Is a tie something that should be allowed in sports?

Have you read SAY HER NAME yet?

Just some ideas...

Anonymous said...

Could you please send some of your rain our way?

It's dry, dry, dry here.

The wind blows the ponderosa pollen across the valley (we call it "yellow bajareque") and recently, smoke and ashes from fires hundreds of miles away blows in and turns the air gray, forming clouds that look like rainclouds but sadly are not.

The wildflowers that usually bloom up the hillside behind the happy house are sparse and wilted.

The air is so dry, the inside of my nose gets all cracked, my throat dry, and my skin wrinkled like a raisin.

What I would give for some moisture in the air! Even just one big afternoon rain....