Thursday, August 30, 2012

AMATUERCRASTINATION

I was thinking about writing a post on procrastination but I had trouble getting around to it.  I suddenly found it necessary to read most of the blurbs on Yahoo News before getting started. I did take pride in having resisted "Why the Kardashians Are Popular," but lost some of same when I opened "Cameron Diaz Shows Off Her Long Legs."  Hey, some things are worth the loss of pride.  I also read several articles from the Denver Post Sports Section that added to my knowledge not a whit, and I spent long moments contemplating breakfast choices before settling on wheat toast and a banana along with, my stomach is telling me, too much coffee.  When, finally, I got around to writing the post, read now, I forget what it was I wished to say about procrastination  other than that, USUALLY, I'm not very good at it.  I've got this Enneagram Seven thing about getting to the fun as soon as possible, but I also have this weird, probably of judeo/christain origin, although I don't know why they get all the credit (or is it the blame?) idea that you have to get the work out of the way before getting on to the fun and games.  Curiously, well, at least to me it's curious, I find writing to be both work and play so one would think I'd want to get right to it for either of the two reasons, ie; get it out of the way to get to the fun or because it is the fun.  But NOOOO Dirty Keyboard Breath! Not today!  Today I had to diddlypuck around before getting started.  No reason really, unless, UNLESS, (Wait! Now that I see it in caps I realize what a funny word unless is. Un-less. Kind of a weird concept if you ask me. Doesn't that mean more?) it's because earlier today I had written a writer pal about her not writing.  It was shortly after that that I was stricken with my bout of procrastination.  I meanwho am I to be giving advice to others about not writing when for most of my life I ignored that I could and didn't! So there you have it, one explanation for my tardiness in getting around to  this post.  The only other one I can think of is laziness.  Couldn't be that, could it?




 

4 comments:

boquetebonnie said...

You an add to "skill set" the word "factoid," which I've always hated. It's an ugly-sounding word, first of all. Secondly, it brings to mind a medicinal table. Finally, I don't see how it really differs from "fact," a reasonable and widely understood term.

boquetebonnie said...

You can add to "skill set" the word "factoid," which I've always hated. It's an ugly-sounding word, first of all. Secondly, it brings to mind a medicinal tablet. And I don't really know how it differs from "fact," a perfectly reasonable and widely understood term.

Anonymous said...

Procrastination - at the deepest level - is a form of perfectionism.

Anonymous said...

Procrastination - at its deepest level - is a form of perfectionism.