Friday, September 20, 2013

The Urge to Write

The urge to write.  What the hell is that anyway?  Why am I afflicted with this particular urge and not some other that might serve or have served me better?  The urge to make vast sums of money comes to mind.  Apart from the ordinary urges we all sharelike the urge to eat and drink, have sex with super models and quack like a duck during the dessert course at four star restaurants, we all, additionally, seem to have our own personalized set of psychologically compelled motivations.  (I just made up that last so I wouldn't have to say urges again.)  I would give you my list of compulsions, that's a good synonym isn't it? but fear of reprisals, incarceration and a post life heat wave give me pause. Fortunately, I am able to resist the worst of those for the most part else I would have already tossed this computer out the nearest window for its insistence on changing my type size without proper and formal notification.  The urge to write, however, cannot be resisted for long despite the nagging knowledge (I like that phrase, nagging knowledge) that I have nothing to say.  I mean if one has nothing to say why should one be compelled to say it...aloud or on cyber paper?  Take politicians ("Please!" as Henny Youngman would say) who say nothing on a regular basis when confronted with difficult questions.  Theirs, however, may be a practiced art and not just giving in to the urge to say nothing.  My too  insistent desire - another good synonym I'm thinking - to write falls more into the category of mental illness. Oh, not the run through the park naked kind or the vote Republican kind of mind disorder, but a more subtle and mostly harmless manifestation of brain cells gone awry.  More akin to people who whistle tunelessly than people who watch reality TV.  That latter group is truly "'round the bend."

Okay, so now that you understand I am helpless to not do this thing, I will commence with the doing of it with but just one more disclaimer:  The following example of my dysfunction is an attempt to catch up on all the events that have occurred of late and that I have unwillingly failed to report until now thus further feeding my most urgent urge.  Read it at your own risk. 

Hmmm.  All that said, you will have to wait a bit for the catch up part. The above blabber has sated my current urge to write. Tomorrow, perhaps, I will be afflicted once more.  At least I hope so. 

  

No comments: