Thursday, June 05, 2014

ENOUGH SAID



                       Enough Said
                             By Doc Walton

George steps into the Confessional, head lowered, guilt written on his face loud as a neon bar sign.  He takes a seat and says, "Bless me Father for I have sinned.”

A cloaked figure dimly lit through the partition replies with a muffled, somewhat scratchy voice, "Tell me."

"It's like this," George says. "A few weeks ago I stopped at a bar after work to have a couple and chill out a bit.  It had been ah, you know, a real hard day at the office.  I was just sitting there, minding my own business when a woman sits down beside me and it's only natural we get to talking after awhile.  So we're doing that, just talking about one thing and another, work mostly, and I can't help but notice she is really very very attractive.  She has these wide, chocolate brown eyes and lush blond hair pulled back in some kind of complicated bunch at the back.  I've always loved dark eyed blonds, they're...I dunno know, more exotic than the blue eyed versions.

George pauses for a moment and looks at the shadowy figure through the partition.  His expression says you know what I mean, don't you Father?, but of course he understands the priest really doesn't, or at least shouldn’t.

"Well she gets up at some point and walks off to the Ladies and I watch her glide across the room.  That's what it seemed like Father, like she was gliding.  She's tall and willowy like whatsername, Charlize Theron in that perfume commercial and I'm thinking, wow, this woman is something else! 
Now don't get me wrong, Father, I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I was married.  I mean I didn't slip my ring off and put it in my pocket it or anything like that but, you know, if she didn't mind then, what the hell - oops sorry about that Father - then neither did I.

When she got back I just couldn't help myself. We were face to face on our barstools now and I began to tell her how beautiful I thought she was and well, eventually, how much I would like to kiss her.  Seriously Father, the words were barely out of my mouth when she just leaned in and put one on my lips long and serious, and well, how can I put it? Deep.  She said she had been wanting to do that almost since she first sat down.

Well, you know what happens next, Father.  I'm just a man.  We go to her apartment and we have sex, great sex, phenomenal sex.  Sex like I've never had with my wife. And, Father, I have to tell you, we've been doing that at least twice a week since then.  So you see, this is one of those big sins, Father, and probably one I am going to keep on committing as long as she will let me, so I don't know if God can forgive right now."

George sits slumped, eyes down waiting to hear his penance.

"God might," shouts a very familiar voice from behind the partition, "but I never will!"

George's wife slips off her hoodie and storms off through the pews.

Father Fitzpatrick, returning from the restroom sees a woman fleeing from the church and a dumbstruck man standing in the door of a confessional.  He wonders, what’s that all about and thinks, it’s gonna be one of those days.




No comments: