Sunday, September 30, 2007

Familiar Phrases

"We're on our feet moving towards the door." Most of you know that this is the expression I use to motivate Woowoo Charly and any and all of my daughters to actually leave somewhere after we have stood to do so. For reasons I am not privy to, all of those guilty parties suddenly find more to say when standing to depart than in all the hours of visitation that preceded the now hoped for (by me) departure. How come is that?

Heeeere we goooooo, moving towards the door.

I am proud to say that despite it's high failure percentage - the women seldom take the hint - my pet phrase has now become part of the American lexicon. All of my sons and sons-in-law and many of my male friends now use this simple suggestion to, at best, subliminally encourage their mates or dates to get a move-on and, at worst, annoy them into action. One must be careful with the latter for fear the ride home will be fraught with consequences. Despite good intentions like not over staying our welcome and getting home at a decent hour or actually trying not to grow roots or freeze into a solid by the front door while watching clutches of women animatedly discuss some topic that only came to the fore at this very last minute, "moving towards the door" must be used tactfully and judiciously else the aforesaid consequences may come into play. Despite this potential downside, I still find the phrase worth the risk of use. Sometimes when you go for it on fourth down, the play (or ploy) just flat works.

Other expressions of mine that I've always liked are "another day, another doughnut" usually uttered at coffee break, a thing in retirement I don't miss not having. The break that is, not the doughnut. The doughnut is sorely missed. And, "I will do it (one thing or another)barring unforeseen circumcisions" is usually good for a laugh the first time I lay it on a new listener.

Of course Norman Mailer says "repetition is the death of creativity." Thing is, I've heard him say it three times.

That being said, what are "all you alls" favorite throw away lines? I'm on the need to know basis.

7 comments:

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

1. It's time to put him down like Old Yeller.

2. I have to drop the kids off at the pool.

3. How 'bout those Mets!

Zendoc said...

Number two, so to speak, was when I figured out who Steve is.

Unknown said...

I think men have more of these phrases. I can't think of any I have.

Anonymous said...

Here's some of yours that you've used on #1 and me:
1. We'll see buddy (which means absolutely not)
2. Rub some spit on it (when injured and crying son comes to Dad for comfort)

My new favorite when making a pass in basketball that is easily stolen by the defender..."Oh you read my like a glove."

Anonymous said...

#2 from #2 reminded me of one my grandma (mom's side) used to say when you whacked a funny bone or scraped a knee: "rub it with a brick!" ...I guess it was supposed to make you realize it could always be much much worse.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish The Phrase That Shall Not Be Named had not been shared with the menfolk in my life.

Sigh.