Monday, July 19, 2010

Monkeymind Monday

"Sunshine came softly through my......window today."

I don't know why, it just popped into my head. What does that mean, "came softly"? If sunshine came hardly through my window would that signify it was real bright or barely there? These are the questions that try men's souls. Well some men anyway. Put most men's souls on trial and they would get off for insufficient evidence.

It's a Monkeymind Monday for sure.

The dogs are barking at nothing just outside my window. Nothing is the principal thing they find needs barking at on a regular basis. Following that there are other dogs miles away that need a good barking at and let's not forget birds flying overhead.

It is actually, in reality or a damn good likeness of it, a sunny morning.

I have just read on Yahoo that in the Americas Panama has the third happiest people. Costa Rica leads the way among the gratefully grinning and Canada comes in second. So there you have that. It's the Bronze Medal for we Panamanian denizens in the Happiness Olympics. The U.S. of A., I should add, was not among the listed. My guess is they lost in one of the preliminary races and didn't qualify for The Finals; pulled up lame with a hamstring or something. Maybe nipped at the wire by Belize.

Later today I am going to mow the lawn (Yeah, I know, stop the presses) which has grown to the height of ripe wheat since I mowed it last, I'm thinking an hour or two ago. Rain, which we have had a bit of lately, say, about enough to fill Lake Superior a couple of times, followed by sunshine causes our grass to grow about as rapidly as one of those time lapse motion picture sequences. There's the acorn, pass me the popcorn, and here's the giant oak. That small complaint by me is probably why Panama lags behind Costa Rica on the Happiness scale.

Woowoo Chuck and I watched a documentary film on the tube last night about a New York couple that were trying to live an environmentally "No Impact" (the name of the film) lifestyle for one year right there in the city. Both people were writers, she for a New York financial mag and he the author of a couple of history books and both were presumed to be intelligent. She was, we learned, forty and he was somewhere around that number as well. What annoyed us about the film was that both people talked like teenagers. Their conversation was filled with "totally"s and "I was like, you know, SO this and that" and many of their declarative sentences ended in question marks. "I went to the store? And I bought some granola? Drove us crazy, but we hung in to the end. At the film's conclusion we applauded their efforts but Woowoo Charly and I both knew we could never follow their spartan regimen. I mean really...be serious... no toilet paper? That's just not happening.

No comments: