Sunday, September 21, 2014

Feel Like Writing, Don't Know Why

Maybe it is because I have been dodging it for a few days, avoiding having to make stuff up that is, or maybe it is because what I had been writing is about an unpleasant subject, child abuse, or maybe it is just the end of a spurt of laziness - make that a wave of - but I do feel like writing this morning.  Nothing grand, nothing notable, just spit out some words and see them there on the screen so I'll know for sure the whole writing thing is possible.  Here goes that.

I read earlier this morning that Fannie Flagg said her wanting to write is like a one legged man wanting to tap dance, it is so hard, but she, nevertheless, wants to.  I feel the same way.  And someone else of note, I can't remember who, said writing is a way of talking without being interrupted.  Both comments are, in my opinion, pithy, which inspires me to think that...it is now my turn to write something pithy...

as soon as something pithy comes to me.  

Or is it I just like saying pithy?  Possibly.

In the meantime, while we are waiting for the pithy to arrive, it is best we don't hold our breath. 

I did have a nice moment while talking to a couple of bible thumpers the other day.  Wait!  That's derogatory.  Let's call them door to door proponents of "Good News," to use their term.  Their good news, unfortunately, was simply a belief they held for which there is no proof.  "A belief " I pointed out, (pithily)"without proof to substantiate it, is nothing more than opinion."  

Granted, not as good as my best pithy which remains, "Old men like old whiskey, old women like dessert" but it is in the running for Best Pithy Saying About Something Other People Have Said Better. 

(I wonder if there is anyone anywhere who lacked a lisp and said don't be so pithy?)

And now, for a change of subject, see my next post.


 









No comments: