Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's Quiet in the Morning Too.

Georgia, I said-ah Georgiaaah. John McCain will be belting out this old Ray Charles classic shortly as the flip side to Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran. (I wonder if you said flip side to a 20 year old whether they'd have any clue what you were talking about.)

I'm going to revise my usual prediction that the Denver Broncos will go undefeated this year. They might lose a game or two. Okay, they might lose eight. A team's karma doesn't look good when key players go down with injuries early in the preseason. Champ Bailey and his brother Chump are both out and Bill Bailey won't come home. Doesn't look good.

I don't know whether I have mentioned this before, but if I did, here it comes again.
We sit out on our patio in the evenings and if I'm not playing the radio, there are no sounds of civilization whatsoever. No planes overhead, no traffic noise, no car alarms, nada. Just bugs and birds. And dogs. And once in awhile kids kicking a soccer ball down on our entry road. I'm talking quiet. (Maybe tooooo quiet Sarge.)
It's so quiet that you can hear the flowers talking to each other. "I'm prettier than you are." "Yeah, but I'm taller."

Yesterday we got a visit from Daisy our five year old neighbor from down the hill who came with her mother Dalys to help Woowoo Charly with the gardening. You could make a bundle if you could package Daisy's cuteness. Kid's got it all over her. You could also make a bundle if you could harness her energy. She is a non stop moving and talking machine. She wore Gus out in the first hour and all the adults in the second. I like talking to her though. I don't understand all her Spanish - what the heck she's five which means her vocabulary is probably larger than mine - and I think she understands me because she nods and says "si" a lot while giving me looks that say "whoa man, where did YOU learn to talk?" A year ago when we lived next door to Daisy, her parents tried to teach her to say "how are you" when she saw us. She thought how are you was our name. All our names, in fact. She would stand in the driveway, point at us and say, Hola, Howareyou Howareyou Howareyou.

We are off to lovely and talented David today to get an assortment of needed stuff, including wood for the bar shelves. It's coming along nicely, don't you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that Bush called the mayor of Atlanta to make sure everything was alright.