Monday, February 15, 2010

Per Request

Special K has requested that I comment on the following two quotes for reasons known only to her and the physician who dispenses her drugs from the trunk of his car late at night. The first is a pithy thing from Ayn Rand - and yes, I do occassionally lisp. It reads as follows:

Tell me what a man finds sexually attractive and I will tell you his entire
philosophy of life. Show me the woman he sleeps with and I will tell you his valuation of himself.

Before I comment, I want to clear up a thing that has confused people for years. Ayn Rand's first name is pronounced Bob.

Most men I know, particularly those between the ages of twelve and death, find almost anything that walks upright and lacks a penis sexually attractive. A few don't even have those reservations. If from this, Ayn can tell us our entire philosophy of life she is a better man than I am. From what I've read and been told this better man thing is probably the case anyway. As far as telling her the woman we sleep with so she she can give us a grade or a gold star or whatever her idea of valuation is, well I say it's none of her business. Unless, of course, you are Elin Woods. I'm told she is going to get Tiger's entire list.

Andre Maurois, the French author of the other quote tormenting Special K's semi-consciousness - she meditates a lot and sometimes does it in mixed company - has a real name of Emile Solomon Wilhelm Herzog. He changed it because he traveled frequently and Emile Solomon Wilhelm Herzog took too long to sew in his underwear. What he said is this:

"A successful marriage is an edifice that must be rebuilt everyday."

An edifice, as we all know, well, those of us who looked it up anyway, is a large imposing building. I say, if you're married to a large imposing building you will most likely be found inside it, probably in restraints or a room with thickly padded walls. If you just think of your marriage as a large imposing building that needs rebuilding everyday, my question is, who keeps tearing it down? Is Emile alias Andre doing it himself? Is he a man who really digs make-up sex or just a guy who likes using his tool? Truth is, it doesn't really matter because he's wrong about the whole subject. A successful marriage is not an edifice, it's a traveling circus with a baffled, out-of-his-depth Ringmaster trying to make sense of the mayhem while small, young clowns run amok everywhere. Eventually the clowns slip off to start their own circuses and the Ringmaster retires with either the fat lady, the exotic dancer or the wily babe who reads palms and enjoys crystal balls. His in particular.

So there you have my thoughts on the quotes Special K. I hope they've been of help.
Clarification is, as you know, one of my fortes. When drinking tequila I can even give you fivetes or sixtes.

6 comments:

#2son said...

I have an edifice complex.

Zendoc said...

You are a funny man #2son!

Joe said...

How do you know if you're the Ringmaster or the clown?

Anonymous said...

He's not married to an edifice. The marriage IS the edifice. In any case, rebuilding it (which by definition means first tearing it down)every day sounds to me like way too much work. I vote for the circus analogy.

Zendoc said...

The Ringmaster plays many roles. He also carries a flask.

There are some people married to edifices (edifici?) You just rarely see them 'cause they are lost in the shadows.

Unknown said...

A friend recently told me family life was like the game "Whack a mole."