Monday, March 15, 2010

The News in Sports

My last posting, the Lazarus story, was a clever idea, but I sure didn't write it very well. Someone once said that the secret to writing is rewriting and I agree with that even though I seldom do it here on Monkeymind. If I ever get around to doing a "Best Of", something I've been thinking about, I'll clean up (as in rewrite) my selections.

Broncos trade for Brady Quinn. I can't tell you how thrilled I am, because if I did I'd be lying. Now I grant you that Brady Quinn in an excellent Irish name and if the Broncos needed an excellent Irish name, this would be a good trade even though they gave up Payton Hillis another excellent name of unknown derivation although it sounds English to me. No, what the Broncos need is an excellent throwing arm attached to a stout body with quick feet and a quicker mind. To put aside the latest rumors, I will tell you that it is not true that I have been tendered an offer. Unlike Bret Favre, a decidedly funky name, I would not come out of retirement even if I had been. On the other hand, if I am offered tender, well then, I would have to give it some further thought.

But football is of no import right now. This is March and the Madness is upon me, a thing that has nothing to do with my St. Patrick's Day birthday, (Okay maybe just a little) but rather, the roundball I so dearly love. I have no predictions apart from this one: a team featuring blue in their school colors will win the NCAA Tournament. 'Nova is the team I have backed this entire season, but I think it is more likely that Duke, Kentucky or Kansas will cut down the nets at the end of the tourny. Of course, if I had it my way, Woford would shock the world and I don't even have a clue as to what colors they wear, I just like saying the name. Woford.

And, in the world of futbol, David Beckam blew out his Achilles and is flying to Finland for an operation. Who would have thunk that Finland would be a medical destination country? Are Finnish surgeons renowned around the globe? If so, it's news to me. Besides, to fix a torn Achilles tendon, shouldn't Greece be considered?

In other sports news, Tiger and baseball will return at about the same time. I'm finding it difficult getting excited about either. Must be the Madness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's march & the madness?

Joe said...

Late March kicks-off the Classics Season in the pro-peloton. (Google it)