Monday, March 29, 2010

A Wrap Up

"Beach books, books defined as light, entertaining easy reads are no doubt fun and each year I peruse my share of them. Elmore Leonard, Dick Francis and a host of others grace my bookshelves while they await their turn to be exchanged for, usually, more of their kind at The Bookmark Bookstore in Dolega. The books I keep though, are the books that touch something deeper than my ordinary pleasure levels. Books that sink in, remain and add to the sum of what I am. Books wherein I find words in combination so beautiful, clever, and original that they tap into my subconscious and release the pure joy that is housed there. Books, books, books, that enrapture. And so it is with Pat Conroy's latest, "South of Broad" brought to me by daughter K on her recent visit. One hundred pages in and I was looking about for the proverbial toothpicks to prop open my drooping eyelids as night and sleepiness conspired to shut off my consciousness. No matter, this is a book I don't wish to hurry through. Raptures are even better when they can be prolonged.

K and J flew out Friday morning, back to NYC where their real lives waited to be continued. They used an airplane to depart although I'm not sure one was necessary. They were already flying on a cloud of new love. After leaving them at the airport, Woowoo Charly and I drove wordlessly to breakfast at the Grand National Hotel. We were both lost in our own thoughts; missing the lover's happy energy that we got to share for a week. We were a little down, but not awfully so. Our own lives and love do not permit the blues for long.

Well, not the real ones, anyway. I'm singing you done left me baby because all of my blind draw team picks for the NCAA basketball championship have gone bust and I am out of the pool. Each of the four other participants in the draw, Bookworm Bonnie, Redneck Larry, RTGFKAR and Woowoo Chuck, none of whom cares a whit about college hoops, has a team still in the hunt. Is this fair, I ask you, is this fair?

One further question I have for my readers: While clicking through photos of K and J's visit, I noticed that several of them featured and old guy with a large growth beneath his chest. My question then is, where do I go to get my lips sewn shut and my stomach stapled. Or is there some other way?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know who you're talking about. I only saw extremely attractive, happy, and sometimes silly, people in those pictures.

Anonymous said...

love you, miss you! xox

#2son said...

You must head south. There's a beach there where everyone is thin, tan, and healthy. I think it's called Rio. My own search for said beach has been hindered by pizzerias and fresh pasta. Oh, fresh pasta.

Joe said...

I recommend eating mashed potatoes with your pasta. This seems to work for me. :)