Thursday, November 01, 2012

IT'S ALL IN THE GENES

I've grown a beard.  I call it my beard for Obama.  I'm not sure why, but then the why's of a lot of things escape me.  For instance, why am I a liberal.  Oh sure, I have done the research, read U.S. history, didn't ditch my Civics classes and found liberal women more, well, liberal, but, I could now probably, no actually, make a case for an opposite point-of-view, except for...  For what?  That's what I'm trying to grasp. I can see the merits of both major political parties and, although I would like to say that it was after I had carefully considered same, that I chose my left-of-center, democratic mind-set, but that is just not the case.  The truth seems to be that it was there all the time.

Scientists have recently noted differences between Republicans and Democrats in the amygdalia part of the human brain. The part that is fear based is enlarged in the Pub brains and the part that determines curiosity is enlarged in the Dem brains.  Or so they say.  I'm not curious enough to look up the correct spelling of amygdalia so I'm inclined to doubt the hypothesis.  (Of course, there is also the possibility that laziness can sometimes trump curiosity.)

But, and here is the question that is down on its knees and begging an answer, are we genetically predisposed to one political position or another or are we truly creatures of free will and thought?

I'm giving odds it's genetics.  I mean, isn't everything?  Deep down in our DNA, which stands for Danged Natural Attitude, in our very chromosomes, atoms and sub-atomic particles, I'm betting there are little bitty elephants and donkeys mapping out our political beliefs.  I know that as a little kid surrounded by Republicans otherwise known as my family, I did not buy the program.  There was a tolerance for difference and change completely lacking in their demeanorAdd to that the, All Are Subservient To The Strict Father, household child rearing model common to Pub families at the time, and it was little wonder I was off-put on what had to be a cellular level.  

If I'm right, a thing that occurs once in awhile almost as if by chance which is probably the best explanation, then why are we spending billions of dollars to convince a populace to Vote For Me when the votes are already determined by genetics? Maybe there are people who have exactly the same number of little elephants and donkeys in their genetic make-up and are thus perfectly neutral.  Maybe we should isolate them, all five of them - there has to be an odd number like the Supreme court or it won't work - and let them determine the outcome of the elections. Think of all the money we would save! We could buy more tanks and Pell Grants!

I am completely facetiously serious about this, so come on scientists.  Get those microscopes busy.  Find those little red and blue animals and find them soon. 

 I am really tired of politics.

  

 





1 comment:

#2son said...

Politics, like sexuality, is a spectrum. We all fall somewhere along the line. We, as a society have decided to spend our money convincing people to sleep with one another.