Monday, October 21, 2013

Beyond Wit's End

Beyond wit's end (see the previous blog) there is still writing to be done even if that writing is as dry as unbuttered toast.  What comes next is probably a good example of that, a piece in which I drone on about my own obsession, exercising.

I feel better when it's over. There is a sense of accomplishment.  I'm not GLAD it's over, I'm not RELIEVED it's over, it's more the feeling you get when putting a check next to something on your Things-To-Do list.  DONE!.  Well, for that day anyway. I should point out that I don't do forms of exercise that I don't like.  I'm not being put through some grueling session by a Drill Sergeant or a Personal Trainer.  Not that there wasn't a time for that.  There was the be fit and look good so you can get laid time, and after that the, see, I can still compete time, but now in the"Autumn of my Life," or is it Winter already?, I'm more concerned with maximizing the quality of my remaining days and that means Good Health and Good Health requires exercise.  At least, so I'm told and I believe it, so I do...exercise. 

Alrighty then.  What I choose as my exercising modus operendi which is a Latin phrase that clearly means, Mowed us Oprah and I, and I have probably misspelled, is walking the dog and bicycle riding.  Okay, somebody help me here.  I have an almost tune in my head with the lyric "Just a walkin' the dog" driving it.  Is this from an old song or am I writing a new one.  I know there is a Yoyo trick called that - remember Yoyos? Duncan's were the best. - but a song? Of course, I'm not entirely sure about the physical benefit of walking my dog, Muttly, as he has to stop and read through his nose all the dog bulletin boards along the way. Our pace is somewhat less than taxing, but we do stroll for forty five minutes to an hour, often twice a day, and the walks are through beautiful surroundings. I'm thinking some good is acquired even if it is only psychological. (Only psychological?  Psychological benefits may be the best of all. Part of that "Quality of Life" stuff people are always talking about.) 

Bike riding is exercise for sure.  It gives you that alternating go real hard, slack off, go real hard technique that is reputed to heighten the cardio benefits of exercising.  It also gets you to places faster than walking, jogging or even running unless you are Usain Bolt.  If you are me and I'm guessing you're not, a good ride will leave you with a stiff and tightened back.  No problem, I just grab that dog leash and head out to walk it off.  Works like a charm.  At least I think it works like a charm. I've never really owned a charm to put it to the test. 

Oh, and I also do push-ups.  They are no fun but at my age I can't do very many, so the no fun part doesn't last very long.  A small blessing.

So there you have that. Beyond wit's end blabber.  Hope you weren't too bored.  Maybe wit will return before I get to the next blog.  One can only hope. In the meantime, "Hey Muttly! Wanna go for a WALK? I know you do!




No comments: