Thursday, June 26, 2008

Blog Neglect

"What's the charge Officer?"

"You are under arrest for Blog Neglect. You have the right to remain silent but that would just add to the evidence."

"Jeez Officer, I've been busy. I've been editing the Keely story, working on something new, been in touch with my High School reunion committee chair-person and finding old friends. C'mon, give me a break, it's a first offense."

"All right, I'm going to let you off with just a warning this time, but next time you're doing time. Got me?"

"Yes sir."

Boy those Blog Police are tough guys. I've got to get busy.

Okay, so what should I write about? How many of you are interested in the European Futbol championship? Thought so. How about I rehash Tuesday's round of golf? No,eh. Alrighty then, books? Politics? Religion? How about a religiously political book. Sorry don't have one. Not sure I'd read it if I did.

Movies yes! There's the answer. Everybody likes movies. There's a channel here, Cinema Classics, that I'm hooked on. I climb on the old Elyptical Glider and pedal away while trying to put names to all the faces on the black and white screen. I'm pretty good too. I even know a lot of the character actors. Of course I also experience the "what the heck is that guy's name he was in that other movie with the blonde whatsername that starred in the pirate movie with that British actor and he was in some dance flicks with that guy who was good but not as good as Astaire or Kelly and then he was in that TV show in the Fifties I'm thinking a western don't tell me it'll come to me in a minute" moments. They force me to hang around until the credits roll so I can say, "Oh Man I shoud have known that one. He was in that flick with Gable and whatsername the redhead. What was the name of that picture anyway?" I'm still preparing for the pop quiz in my Film Class.

If I had a Film Class. When I went to school there were no film classes. We had subjects like Math, History, Science, English and Health. (Does anyone remember Health?) For an elective you could take Chess. There were no film classes. If you were shown a film in school it was about the dangers of drugs, drink, driving or how to not get pregnant while doing drugs, drinking and driving. These were black and white classics also and were usually produced by a branch of our armed forces. Fortunately they don't show these gems on the Cinema Classics Channel. If they did I would have to switch to HBO where you seldom get movies that played for more than a weekend in regular theaters.

And speaking of theaters, the last movie I saw in a regular theater was the most recent King Kong. The one with Jack Black and Naomi Watts. It was dubbed in Spanish but that was okay, we all know the story. Movies are dirt cheap here, two and a half bucks, but the nearest theater is in David an hour each way away. Too far to drive for a flick you can rent in a few months. Do wish someone would build one here in Boquete though. I love the big screen experience with the sights, sounds and smells of an audience around you.

"Okay Officer. I'm done for now. Promise I'll keep busy."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome back. Missed you. Your blogs.
http://www.imdb.com/
For those times when you want to really find out who that was or what movie you're thinking of and you don't want to wait until the end credits...try IMDB (link above). Internet Movie Database. Sure, it takes the fun out of the guessing, but it also settles a lot of arguments and will let you sleep at night.