Monday, September 01, 2008

COOL !

There is no better adjective than "cool". If a thing is cool it is as good as it needs to be. It doesn't have to be splendid or magnificent or grand or even grandiose. Cool is enough. All the other judgmental adjectives were invented just so we wouldn't over use cool. Old people shy away from cool because they don't want to sound immature, but if you deliver the word with the proper emphasis, cool can remain a part of your vocabulary no matter your age. Just say it like you're being facetious and stretch it a bit, cooooool.

Alrighty then.

Have you ever read fantasy? I'm reading a trilogy by George R.R.Martin that has me captivated. Apart from The Lord of the Rings and The Harry Potter books that I've read in Spanish, I don't recall reading much other fantasy. Some sci fi for sure, but no fantasy unless you count the Tarzan series as such. Each of the books in Martin's trilogy are close to a thousand pages and I'm told he has written a fourth and is working on a fifth, both continuations of the original trilogy. (I think I would be working on a fifth, maybe even a quart, if told I had to write that much.)Martin's books, the first of which is "A Game Of Thrones", are complexly plotted and densely character-ed, but are written in a narrative style that carries the action forward with little doubling back. There are stories within stories within the principal story, but Martin moves them all along in such a skillful way that the reader never loses touch with any of them. An entire fictional world populated with creatures both real, people, and created, direwolves for example, seems as believable as the one we live in. If I were writing a review here, I would have to give these books the ultimate in praise. In other words, these books are, you guessed it, wait for it, wait for it, these books are.............cool!

No comments: