Thursday, November 26, 2009

T-day and Movie Stuff

"Someone's in the kitchen with Rah-Moan, someone's in the kitchen I know oh oh oh, someone's in the kitchen with Rahh-Moannnn, strummin' on the ole banjo."

Actually he's in there by himself, baking bread for today's festivity, Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is the day when all we expats give thanks for being expats. Not that there's anything wrong with the old USA apart from its well documented troubles; I mean it was, afterall, an okay place to trip the light fantastic for most of a lifetime, but, truthfully, now, I'd rather be here, so expats, let's drink to that. (A bit later in the day, of course.)

I never did get to that wasp thing yesterday. It rained at dusk and that in combination with the enervation of my dog walk, put the project on the back burner for now. (Hmmmm, back burner. Are they less hot or less urgent than the front burners?)

In lieu of hive busting I watched a creepy movie about creepy boys in a creepy private school in England. I know that describing a private school in England as creepy might seem a little redundant, but this one was especially so. The movie was shot in color, but it came off feeling like black and white and at least somewhat noirish. There was the usual undertone of homosexuality that is almost a cliche when it comes to private school boy movies, (private girl school movies seem charged with heterosexual overtones...or is that just me?) but it served only to add to the film's overall creepiness. One of the boy leads is dead of a shotgun wound at movie's start, while another is a suspect being interviewed in depth by a woman psychologist. The movie flashes back from this interview until all is revealed. The boys are attractive, upper class and both quite brilliant, although in different ways. There is a kind of Leopold and Loeb arrogance about them that adds to their creepiness, but the actors are competent and I was drawn to them in the same way a small child will watch a bug caught in a spider's web; it's horrible but you can't take your eyes away. I would like to tell you the name of this movie so that you can be deliciously creeped out as well, but I don't remember it. This is not an important detail in that even if I did remember, it would probably not be the movie's actual name. Most film titles here in Central America are changed from the original to refelct, I suppose, something more understandable to Spanish speakers. "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" for instance, might be "Adventure Man In India." Maybe you can go to your neighborhood video store and ask for creepy English private school movies. The clerks may look at you differently after that, but hey, it's a small price to pay for a good movie.

If you are now wondering why I brought this up in the first place, I will let you in on my closely guarded secret. Are you ready?

I have no idea why. Just something to write about, I guess.

Have a great T-day.

"They're singing, fee fi fiddly I oh, fee fi fiddly I oh oh oh oh. Fee fi fiddly I ohhhh, strummin' on the ole banjo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now that post puts the monkey in monkeymind. love it!

also love this: "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" for instance, might be "Adventure Man In India."

hee.

ps. before you blast those bees with poison, have you tried a smudge stick and a good long chant? have you asked them nicely to relocate?