Friday, January 15, 2010

Blithering

Sometimes I write a blog just because I peer in at Monkeymind and see my last one sitting there looking stale and outdated. Today is one of those days. I don't have anything in particular to say, but then I rarely do, so there is no news there.

It is Friday of a week that slid by almost undetected. For most of the week we Boquete denizens were holed up in our houses avoiding the wind and rain. RTGFKAR, Woowoo Charly and I did slip out for a Daveed run ostensibly to see the Abominable Doctor Panagas, but also just to catch a few rays and warm up. Temps around our place have been in the Sixties and that just won't do. Especially for Woowoo Chuck and I who have, as I've noted before, lizard in our DNA. Panagas never showed. I sat in his very crowded waiting room reading an Elizabeth George mystery and chatting here and there with his beautifully smiled receptionist while RTGFKAR and Chuck made a Pricsmart run. They were back and I was gone before Panagas made an appearance in the building. He was, according to Diosylyn, the receptionist, a la mitin de Ministerio de Salud. A meeting at the Ministry of Health. I am rescheduled for Monday.

We did play a couple of games of Scrabble this week (a thing I wouldn't have mentioned had I not won both games) and we watched several movies, the worst of which was the latest version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still." The movie, a real stinker, did, however, provide Keanu Reeves an opportunity to display his full range of facial expressions, both of them. Other than that highlight the movie had nothing to offer and this reviewer says, don't bother. One odd, but curiously interesting movie that we stumbled on accidentally - the title certainly was not the lure - was "Lars and His Living Doll." You might want to check this one out if you like good acting and an offbeat script.

Three indios were killed in a machete fight a couple of nights ago on the street in front of the Flower and Coffee Fair that is going on all this week. I would tell you more but that's all I know. Of course I could make something up.

Cyrano De Guimi stood back to back with Dartagnon de Kuna. Their machetes were unsheathed and at the ready. Around them the president's personal guard crept carefully forward urged on by the evil and cunning Captain Richalulu. "There will be no escape this time," he cries out. "Your coffee beans will be ours." The guard closes in, blades begin to flash.

Something like that would probably be better than another movie review.

No comments: