Monday, January 11, 2010

Sense Dancing

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense dancing." William James

I gotcher sense of humor right here, Willy. It's Monday morning and crosswise rain is being pushed along by a wind so noisy it's hard to hear my own thoughts. Is this any way to start a week Willy? I don't think so. Throw in throw-up, yeah two of my dogs have done that this morning, and a puddle of puppy pee in a corner and I just don't see any sense in it at all, common or otherwise.

That's right, I'm depressed Willy. Even though I will probably be sitting here writing, which is a euphemism for staring off into space, which is in itself a euphemism for the contents of my mind, for the next few hours or so, making the weather irrelevant, I feel it might be more cheering if I could glance up from my reverie now and then and see sunshine lighting up the out-of-doors. Is that too much to ask Willy?

Oh sure, I know it could be worse. I could be a Green Bay Packer fan this morning or even worse than that, actually live in Green Bay, so I probably shouldn't complain, but come on Willy! To quote another deep thinker, Dean Martin, "the weather outside is frightful!" While you're over there making common sense dance, I have important chores like edging the lawn, washing the car and walking the dogs stacking up. What if it is still raining tomorrow? I'll be at wit's end or, at least, somewhere past wit's middle.

So what I'm trying to tell you here, Willy, is to save your happy quotes for another day. On the other hand, if you've got something grim, something Poe-ish, something along the lines of "while I pondered weak and weary" then we here in the land of "I might as well go back to bed" might be interested.

(Okay, I'm just kidding, my common sense is dancing. Someone is shooting bullets at its feet.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zendoc said...

Thanks. I'll re-count my blessings. Still, it looks like "Key Largo" out my window and I'm afraid to go outside.

Zendoc said...

I didn't delete no steenking comment! Was it yours Dara? Try it again.