Thursday, January 07, 2010

Movies, Sports and Books

Spawn of Wrayjay (RTGFKAR) has returned to the States and we miss her already. Such a sweet kid. True dat. (Statement of complete accord. Synonyms, word up, ditto, mos def, word is bond.)

I'm looking forward to all the new movies that HBO and Cinemax are going to show this year. Some of them I'm told are only five or six years old. For want of anything better to do last night I watched another Steven Segal flick called Pistol Whipped or Riddled With Bullets or something else along those lines. (Okay I admit there were lots of better things to do but I was hunkered down in a recliner with a glass of wine in hand and, curiously, none of them came to mind.) In this movie Steven, who is roughly the size of a house give or take an extra bathroom or two, was often dressed in leather jackets. I'm no expert but the jackets looked like real leather so I figure the material was the largest part of the production cost. If the producers had used synthetics they might have been able to squeeze in another car chase or afforded a better director.

Mike Shanahan, the former Denver Bronco coach, gets a five year contract from the Washington Redskins at seven million per season. I'm thinking if a coach is worth thirty-five mil he ought to be able to take a junior high team and school the Patriots. (school = to trounce or beat.) I mean really. With thirty-five million you could make ten or twelve Steven Segal movies.

Lest you think my entire day was wasted watching and contemplating sports and movies let me also point out that I finished a Jim Harrison novel called "True North." It's called that, I suppose, because that is its title. The book's protagonist is trying to write a history of his family's role in screwing up their part of the world, northern Michigan, with mining and clear cutting. A woman poet and lover of his tells him that as a writer he will never be more than a pretty good amateur. I thought about the description "pretty good amateur" for a long time and decided that it fits me as well.

I can live with that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Zendoc said...

Alrighty then Anonymous, 'preciate it. I do, though, think some of the oldies are goodies.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Zendoc - they're all goodies! xox

ps. there's a guy at work who's obsessed with (as in worships) Steven Seagal. What is that? I mean, really?