Friday, April 16, 2010

Spoofing on a Sunny Day

Among Yahoo's 100 Modern Classic Films is one of my favorites, "Shaun of the Dead." That's right, it's on the same list as "Avatar", Forest Gump", and "The Usual Suspects" to name just a few. If you haven't seen this spoof of zombie movies, you need to run right out, rent it, and watch it. Seriously. Satire is one of my favorite types of humor - all the other types except slapstick and scatological are also favorites - as it can imply that there is little in mankind's realm that can't be made fun of and I subscribe to that notion. (Subscriptions are free but are only authorized for people with open minds.)

A movie I watched last night "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" should be spoofed as soon as possible. Either that or shelved and forgotten. I found it plodding and dull despite a tour-de-force performance by the studio's make-up department. The story is about the life of Benny Button who is born old and grows young at the same speed that we do the opposite. Brad Pitt does a decent job of portraying Benny, but the role doesn't require much stretch apart from the hours he had to spend being made to look a dozen or so different ages. I'll note here that Woowoo Charly disagrees with me. She liked the movie and found it engaging, so I am compelled to say in all honesty...that I respect her right to be wrong.

It's a humming bird humming, other birds chirping, shining, gleaming, streaming flaxen waxen kind of morning here in the land of that sort of thing. The sky is North Carolina Tarheel blue and the flowers in our garden staring at me through the window seem to be perkier than usual. There is Spring in the air and a spring in my step. I'm going to knock off early today to go out and enjoy the glorious outdoors. First though, I'll have to put on a layer of moisturizer followed by my nuclear holocaust sunblock, a long sleeved shirt, a wide brimmed hat and the determination to not let the sun's rays touch my skin. These are orders from my dermatologist, the abominable Dr. Panagos. (He's really a nice guy.) On second thought, maybe I'll just wait until it's dark.

From the What's New Department, a department that most often lacks content, comes this: Yesterday we took all three dogs to the vet to get booster shots for distemper and other stuff; stuff like mumps, measles, and chicken pox I suppose. One of the diseases they were inoculated for is named Parvo. Parvo has always sounded to me like a game you play on a rainy day. "I challenge you to a game of Parvo Dear. You get the board, I'll get the Parvo pieces and we'll have at it." Seems a shame to be immune to that.

So there you have it. Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can just picture your beautiful garden....