Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Sports Roundup

March Madness comes to an end in early April with an "Instant Classic" between Duke and Butler and You Were There. You weren't? So sorry. Let me tell you what happened. With the clock showing three seconds, Butler forward Gordon Haywood pulls down the rebound of a missed foul shot and dribbles quickly to half court where he launches a Hail Mary heave the strikes the backboard, ricochets around the rim and then drops softly through the net for a three pointer that gives Butler the upset win over mighty Duke, 62 to 61. What's that you say? The shot missed? C'mon, don't tell me that. It took me all night and several consciously directed dreams to make the game come out my way. Ah well, you can't win 'em all and I did get a Sox win over the Yankees to start the looooong baseball season.

Tiger Woods press conference was a snoozer. I found myself wishing that the room was full of British tabloid journalists asking the questions and not the mainstream U.S. sports media. I mean, "Tiger, how's the knee?" was not exactly the probing type of query I was looking for. "Yo Tig, I've got you down as having 17 girlfriends. For the record, is that the right number and of them, which one would you say was the most, ah, er, proficient at what they do?" is more along the lines of what I wanted to hear, but then, as you know, the warp of the Monkeymind can take it just about anywhere. #1 Son aka (among the family) The Duke of Disgusting, would also have been a good choice as an interlocutor. I can hear him now. "So Tiger, did Nike help supply your wood or was that strictly the girl's job?" Bada ding bong ding. Swoosh.

On the distaff side of golf you will be surprised to learn a Korean named pick-one-from-many Kim did not win the ladies' first Major of the year. Nope, the winner was Taiwanese. I'm told there is a difference. To offset this imbalance in nature, Anthony Kim won last week's men's run-up to The Masters. Anthony, however, is from South California and not South Korea. I'm told there is a difference there too.

But enough about sports, let's talk about bicycle racing. Ha!

Just kidding.

3 comments:

Steveisnotmyname said...

Doc-Please don't take pot shots at bicycle racing. We all know it's not a sport. There are no balls involved.

This joke is Dara approved.

DH

Zendoc said...

Just messing with the new guy (Joe) a little. Somebody's gotta do it or he won't feel like he's part of the family.

Anonymous said...

I watched my first race (Flanders) on sunday and I say that it is a sport: a strategic team sport, with an offense and a defense.

But you might take this with a grain of salt since I still call guys on bikes cyclers.