Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Television Anyone?

Strolling through the living room where RTGFKAR sits watching mainstream television, I pause a moment to check out the images on the screen. Has anyone else noticed that most of the shows consist of close-ups, very close-ups and one face damn near fills up the entire screen-ups? RTGFKAR watches NCIS, CSI, and probably other shows featuring initials in capitals like, say, MSG or IUD, while I watch shows with the initials NBA, NFL, PGA, etc. The difference is that my shows feature distant camera work and unknown endings, while RTGFKAR's focus on human heads larger than beach balls - he has a very big television - dialog and a scripted conclusion. Both viewing choices are worthy television fare and I make no judgments here - to each his own is my motto and I learned that from The Platters in 1958 - but those giant heads do fascinate me. Is it for financial considerations - sets don't have to be very elaborate if heads obscure the backgrounds - or is it just a directorial style trend? When I think back to shows that I did watch, Cheers, M*A*S*H, innumerable westerns, and Kolchak The Night Stalker a show that was clearly television's finest hour, I can't envision them being a series of talking heads. There was just too much movement to dwell for long on a single face. Oh well, I suppose that once more I am "out of the loop." Someday, I'm going to find that loop and jump right in so I can see what that feels like. For the moment, though, I'll just stand apart and make my comments as I see it passing by.

2 comments:

Joe F. Clark said...

Here's the other thing Zendoc, many of today's TVs are Hi Def. This means those "talking head" actors must be awfully confident in their dermatologist because with Hi Def you can practically count their skin cells.

Anonymous said...

true, JFC, so true. (your initials make me giggle, BTW.)