Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Enough With Poem


ENOUGH WITH DOE EYES AND DAFFODILS!
                             By Doc Walton

Why are the poets COMPELLED so to write
Of Spring and bright flowers and subjects so light?
Why MUST they all pose the glories of Summer?
And deaden my mind like a boring harp strummer.

And why IS IT a must that we cherish the Fall?
Why do they write it so maudlin and all?
To poets harsh Winter's not cold and displeasing.
They WAX on about pure white snow, not the freezing.

Give me a poem 'bout the man in the gutter,
Who smells of stale vomit and's been known to mutter
Of women and bosses and life's unfair tosses,
Of setbacks and heartaches and deeply felt losses.

Or maybe a lyric about nature's raw side,
Of predators, prey, and life's downward slide.
Or give me a line that delivers a chuckle,
A deep belly laugh that'll make my knees buckle.
Or even a sad note that brings tear to eye,
Something moving, dramatic that makes my heart cry.

So enough of soft doe eyes and peace doves in flight,
And enough of bright flowers and your love's delight.
Enough with the singing of Spring and Fall's praises,
Enough with the mooning o'er all Seasons phases.

Just give me the gritty, the hearty and deep,
And give me the poems that rob me of sleep.
I'm looking for substance not sweet saccharine,
So give me a poem that draws my soul in.


Doc Walton April 2013

 












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something of Marlowe in this one...