Tuesday, April 16, 2013

WILD SIDE



                             THE WILD SIDE
                                   By Doc Walton

I've walked on the wild side,
but never for long.
I'm cursed by a conscience
that says, "This is wrong."

I'll call it a curse,
but just for this minute,
while I ponder the "Big Fun"
that won't find me in it.

'Cause I'm drawn to the low,
the base and the bad.
It's all so damn tempting
the things I ain't had.

All those high painted women
with their come hither glances,
their promise of dark treats
imagination enhances.

Should I mention the drugs,
come get high come get low,
that will take me to places
I so want to go.

And the booze that keeps flowing
long into the night
and weakens the resolve
to keep doing right.

(Forget stealing and dealing
and violence and such
they’re ruled out completely
but not always by much.)

Sure I’ve leaned in aplenty
To taste wild’s fare
but my cranky old conscience
won't let me stay there.

It yanks me right back
when I near the brink
of leaving the good life
to go join the stink.

So it's really a blessing
I'm talking about
my aforesaid conscience
that keeps "wild" out.

Now I’m raising my shot glass
in a heartfelt salute
to my disciplined conscience
so clearly astute.

It’s telling me now
I should put down my glass
‘cause tequilla’s a vice
I should willingly pass.

There are times I won’t kid you
(Watch me throw back my shot)
when my uptight old conscience’s
completely forgot.

Cheers!


























 




No comments: