Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Finding a Topic

I'm on my third cup of coffee and I still haven't decided on today's topic. I've read all the news... everybody's mad at North Korea, personalized jet packs are coming, Broncos release Sauerbrun, kids need more playtime, the world is going to hell in a handbasket and we still don't know who's hand is ON the basket, Iraquis are dying, Streisand sings again and blood tests reveal Bush is reptilian in origin... all things that either go without saying or need no further clarification leaving me still topicless.

There was one thing I found interesting, but I really don't know what to say about it beyond way-ta-go and that is this: Scientists from the U.S. have won every Nobel Prize awarded so far this year. Only the prizes for Peace and Literature remain. I know what you are thinking and yes I should be in the hunt for both, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Some of the other writers under consideration are pretty good too. And as far as Peace is concerned, I think I have made it clear that my feelings are pretty much aligned with the guy who does the announcing at boxing matches. Two seconds after he shouts, "Let's Get Ready To Rumble" he leaps the hell out of the ring and disappears. Maybe he'll get the prize. I think he's American. We're going for the sweep.

Speaking of literature, do self-help books count? I've just finished one, "The Extraordinary Healing Powers of Ordinary Things" and I'm reading three others simultaneously. These are "Life After Death, The Burden Of Proof", "The Book of Understanding, Creating Your Own Path To Freedom" and "Writing The Fire, Yoga and the Art of Mking Your Words Come Alive." (Something about non-fiction writers makes them feel they have to put everything in the title. If fiction guys did that we'd save time reading. "War and Peace, A long, rambling story about people and events in Russia that lead you to the conclusion that War is bad and Peace is good." Or "Cujo, the story of a big dog that bites people.") I'm making progress in all three of my self improvment books, but so far I haven't really gleaned the message in any of them. I mean, "Life After Death..."? You bet, I'm for it. "Understanding..."? I will, I hope "...Making your words come alive"? You have to be careful with this one. What if you wrote "werewolf"?

I think I'll go for a fourth cup.

No comments: