Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Vote For Me 5

"Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light" yaddidah yaddidah yaddidah "that our flag was still there?" Hmmm. That is one run-on sentence. And a question at that. The Star Spangled Banner - now there's a title for you - used to be considered a difficult song to sing. Not anymore. Pop idols belt this baby out like it was no tougher than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Of course they deviate (because they're deviates?) from the original composition to the point that I'm not always sure what it is that's being sung. No matter, I just wish they wouldn't take so long. There's a game that needs to get started.

I like our national anthem. As anthems go it's a top tenner on the charts. And even though it is a toughie for we regular folk to sing, it is sung in English and that helps a lot. Most of the others, I've noticed, are in foreign languages and are real tongue twisters. My objection to the thing is simply that it's warbled before getting on with the game and I just don't see the link. Anthem, Packers versus Bears. Why? As I've already proposed an alternative to our national symbol for special uses, I see no reason I shouldn't now offer an alternative anthem specifically for use at sporting events. In other words... "Ah you reddy faw sum foopball? A Munday nite potty? Here we keep the tradition of asking questions in the anthem and the content is more specific to the event. Of course we can change the foopball to baseball or hoopsball or tennis or whatever the sport is along with the day of the week and then we won't have to wonder what "bombs bursting in air" has to do with the soccer moms watching their kids get kicked in the shins. Sure the song will present some vocal problems when the singer has to phrase "are you ready for some synchronized swimming,"but our rappers have shown us with our other anthem that anything is possible. When I'm in office, I'll put it on a ballot.

Vote for me.

No comments: