Sunday, March 11, 2007

Dramas and Dreams

I watched the movie "Resident Evil 2, The Apocalypse" last night thinking it was going to be about Bush's second term. Ba ding bong chiish! It wasn't, although the flick did have a lot of zombies, mindless monsters, robots and other Bush supporters in the plot. The good guys sort of prevail at the end, but the door is left open for "Resident Evil 3, Revenge of The Gingrich" which may or may not be playing in 2008. The heroine in the film is an ass kicking, DNA altered hot blonde. She is accompanied by an almost equally tough brunette and both are dressed in somewhat dominatrix style, ie: mini skirt, high boots, bare midriffs and halter tops. There are a couple of good guys in the movie as well, an heroic white guy who couldn't act and a comedic relief black guy who could, a little, but seriously, they mostly got in the way of my own, and apparently many other guys, personal fantasies. Sexy babes that can mop the floor with bad dudes being much in vogue of late.

I have to admit that I am not sure if Hollywood is missing the boat with their scare pics or if I am just too much a veteran viewer of the slash, mash and mangle genre to be frightened by them. It seems to me that the directors of today's fright films are caught up in what they can do with their special effects and forget that the object is not to amaze the viewer, but rather to scare the pants off him. To my way of thinking the audience needs to be squirming in their seats a bit more from fight or flight adrenaline and not from slimy, creepy things which have been way over done. (And here the Bush presidency comes back to mind.) Too much is too visible too soon. The nasties in the unknown are more frightening than the clearly animated or costumed baddie in the foreground. Which brings me to my pesadilla, my nightmare.

Last night I dreamed I had fallen asleep in my chair watching television. I awoke with a start feeling vaguely uncomfortable. Something was amiss. I turned off the TV which left me in complete darkness and I made my way slowly to the bedroom by groping along the walls. I didn't want to wake Woowoo Charly by turning on the lights. Just as I was about to climb in bed I heard a loud noise at the front door as if someone were trying to break in. I went to the bedroom window where I could see at an angle to that door and there was clearly someone or something there. Its shadowy outline was not especially human, but was especially thick and large. I hit every light switch I could as I rushed back to the living room and I was reaching for a three iron I keep in our umbrella stand when, with an ear splitting, wood ripping noise, the door exploded open and the thing came rushing in to get me.

I sat abruptly up in bed all sweaty and atremble. This had been too cool. Far better than the movie. Took me a good ten minutes to get back to sleep afterwards. I nodded off trying hard to promote part two, the ass kicking babe sandwich, but no such luck. Maybe tomorrow night. Still, I wonder... are your dreams as much fun as mine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? Very good movie. It's not the monsters that get you in that one, but they are very cool.

In my dream I ran down the dank alley to escape the creature. My only option was to hide. When I covered myself in the loose newspapers I realized that the monster was already in there. It took hold of my arm and I began to scream. The more Zisa tried to wake me the more trapped I felt and the louder I screamed. I'm not talking Barry White here, I'm talking Richard Simmons on Helium! The people who owned the cottage we were visiting haven't yet asked us back.