Saturday, December 08, 2007

Neglected Blog

Sorry Blog Old Sock, that I haven't been around much lately, but more pressing matters have come to the fore. I have dialed you up a few times this past week to stare and wonder, but before I could belt out a note of song, verse or version, something always came up to draft my attention.

"Doc there's someone at the door" was an oft heard phrase this week and is a suggestion to me that I go find out who it is. It appears I am the Chosen One when it comes to door opening around here because I'm Mister Spanish. I've been awarded that title by dint of my great command of that mellifluous language if, by great command I mean having the vocabulary of a retarded, five year old Panamanian with speech impediments. "Hola Senor, Que pasa?" or is it paso?

One guy wants money. His name is Roberto and he has been installing the security bars at the new casa. Another's a body shop guy who is repairing RTGFKAR's car. His name is William, pronounced Wee-yem and he's here to tell us he's finished. We've also had our Landlady, Edith, and her translating cousin, Jackie, neighbor Aurelio,
people who may rent the house after we move and several others who I can't remember because I met them only this week. Had I seen them in a movie in 1978, their names would come instantly to mind. All of the above seem to have arrived at precisely the moment when blog inspiration was circling the room.

I've been further distracted by trips to Daveed, downtown Boquete, work at the new house and a weak mind. All have conspired to keep me blogless until now. I have not, however, been writingless. That is, if tidying up some old things and retyping them into my computer count. I think it does.

What has happened you see, is that several writers including Yers Truly have formed a group to share their work and I've been the most early and often contributor. It's been fun reading stuff from people whose faces are familiar and I've received some nice reviews along the way. I do have paper copies of some of my old stuff but I'm still missing scads. When I think about it, I realize I've been fairly prolific since that last year in Arboles. If any of you out there in Blogland have any bits of my madness lying about, please let me know. Meanwhile there are ten or twelve of my 260 blogs that are rewrite worthy as separate bits so I've got material to work with. After we move and get settled in, my muse has promised new stuff.

And as for you, Senor Blog, I'll keep in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll keep looking for your stories, Pops, and will send along any I find...it's been a hectic week with sales conference and the launch of our Fall 08 list...plus a big meeting with Deepak this morning...

You're Mr. Spanish, eh? The way you describe yourself makes me laugh. A retarded 5-year-old Panamanian kid. Heh.

Reminds me of an afternoon at Tattered Cover when I was trying to translate for a French family who was looking for a particular book - and apparently doing a terrible job at it because I was told (by the father!):

"Vous parlez francais comme une petite fille bete."

Which roughly translates: "you speak french like a stupid little girl."

Those friendly French. Gotta love 'em.

Unknown said...

Dad is the only one who seems to answer the door in Panama. Mamacita and RTGFKAR always seem to disappear when the door rings...