Saturday, December 01, 2007

Waxing Philosophical

"At the moment when there's nothing more to lose, the Ego breaks open - and then we see who we are behind who we thought we were." Ram Dass

Alrighty then. So there's that.

Of course I'm not sure who I think I am. Maybe you know. Who do you think I think I am? Best I can come up with is Old Jock Who Now Blogs In Lieu Of Jump Shots. I mean if I had my druthers I'd probably still be hoisting them up from the top of the key, but then my priorities have always been a trifle skewed. Old Jock With Skewed Priorities might work. Skewed Trifles has also got a shot. According to Ram, though, the real me is hiding behind that guy, whoever he is, waiting for my Ego to bust open. I'm thinking that could take awhile. There's not much left there to break. Can't say I miss it either. Life's more peaceful without the parts of it I've sent packing. I would like to see the guy behind the guy though. He might be taller. Trouble I'm finding is "the moment when there's nothing more to lose." That's a bit worrisome. I've got lots to lose and I'm in no hurry to lose it. Apart from things like my debts and bad back that is. I guess what Ram means by "the moment" is the one when you are on the brink of the Big D and here we're not talking Dallas. We're talking Daisies, as in pushing them up. That's when I'll get cosmic consciousness, enlightenment and a peek at the guy behind the guy. I'm in no rush to go there either. I mean, what if it turns out I'm really Regis Philbin?

Perish the thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Pops, the guy behind your Ego is not Regis Philbin. This much I know is true.

To me you are -- sometimes, not others - because there is no real always-there-the-same Self, it's unstable and changes moment to moment -- The Funny Lighthearted Guy With a Big Deep Philosophical Heart Who Doesn't Want You to Know He Has a Big Deep Philosophical Heart.

But really you are nothing. The space between atoms, that's what you are. Nice, eh?

When my friend Eric (Rinpoche's writer) asked his teacher "so what's this going to do for me?" ("this" = studying Tibetan Buddhism) he was told:

"It will teach you how to die."

Sheesh.

But I think I'm just beginning to get some flickers of understanding about this.

It's not morbid or nihilistic. It's about learning to let go.