Friday, October 03, 2008

The 400th Blog

There is something scary about that...400 blogs. They all emanate from inside my head. I have a small head. How many could be left in there? What happens when it's completely empty and there is nary a creative thought left? Wait! I know! I'll run for office!

The bus ride from Chinatown NY to Chinatown DC (are there Americatowns in China?)took close to five hours or about the same as the plane ride from Panama to Newark. The bus was more comfortable though, bigger seats, no Ashton Kutcher movies and a stop along the way for refreshments. I also liked the part about the bus being on the ground and not thousands of feet in the air. We made it to our destination in the late afternoon and son Todd was there to greet us per the plan. As we loaded our luggage into the back of his car Todd suddenly asks me if I have any change. Huh? Look he tells me, there's a guy over there with a little kid I think needs some help. I turn around and see a man slumped on the sidewalk against a nearby wall with a kid cradled under his arm. Their faces are concealed, his by a hood and the child's turned away. I take a buck off my money clip and approach them saying something like hey buddy could you use some... and that's when the guy throws back his hood and leaps to his feet with his kidlet doing likewise. He's my son Jr. and his daughter Keely. I'm stunned. I'm speechless. Behind me Woowoo Charly screeches and in seconds we are all hugging, kissing and beaming like actors in a toothpaste commercial. Woowoo Chuck and I remain in shock during the long ride to Todd's house. The boys and Keely chatter away.

What has happened is this: Jr. is as broke as advertised, but his good buddy Jeff (JoeBob to his friends) donated his frequent flier miles to the cause. Thank you JoeBob. Daughter Kira then pitched in to help with all the additional expenses. Woowoo Charly and I were in the U.S. on Dave and Dara's tab and daughter Laura, who doesn't travel often, made it a point to be there so we could all reunite for the first time since Woowoo and I moved to Panama five years ago. I'm still sorting out how amazing the whole trip played out.

I don't know what else to say before I go back to the collage except thank you to all my clan for making this reunion happen. I clearly have the best family on the planet. I love them all and I wouldn't swap them for any other. When D and D and K, L, and Jackson My Man arrived the next morning and the party began I couldn't imagine being happier. I was so happy, in fact, that a week later when the Broncos lost to the lowly Chiefs, I was still glowing and didn't even care. Now that's happy.

And a final note before I go back to being my silly self is an additional thank you to Heather, Jr's wife, who couldn't be there but understood our need to see Jr. and Keely. And a thank you also goes to Ziza, Todd's wife, who not only tolerated us, but joined in as we turned her home into frat party. We love you both.

And another big thanks to RTGFKAR who manned the home front and looked after Gustavo the Wonder Dog. He gets a hug and a Taylor Ham.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Bon, you're pretty special your ownself.

Unknown said...

Charly didn't say that, I did. But she thinks so too.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I like the pics, Pops! Still happy from the visit....

Anonymous said...

Just a note...It's Zisa. Yup.