Tuesday, October 07, 2008

More Md, NY and Connecticut

Where was I? Woowoo Charly has been rattling beads, consulting crystals, talking to the animals and trying to clear our computer of assorted demons and somehow, along the way, she usurped Monkeymind. I could not gain access to the blog. Even when I answered comments, I appeared as Charly! Rats! I am not, however, without my own devices. Recalling the wisdom and clarity of Casey Stengal, Yogi Berra, Dubya and Sarah Palin, I summoned forth all the intellectual resources available from my enormous cranium and did the one thing certain to fix the problem. I called out into the dawn those mystical words known but to a few that bring hope, faith and charity to all, well to me anyway, I said, "hey Charly you better come fix this thing" and she did.

We partied from sun up Saturday all day throughout the day and into the night. You would too if you were us. D and T sang and played mostly blues in their pajamas first thing in the A.M. while I strummed along quietly when T shouted out the chords and changes. Mostly I was late, off, buzzy and bad but what the hell, I was holding the guitar properly. The boys are awesome and when they performed for everyone on the balcony that night, I just sat and listened, knowing better than to screw up their act. During the day there were store trips and walks through the woods to the playground for Jackson and Keely. I could spend many hours just watching them. I know I'm biased, but I swear they glow. The day went by very fast and in the early eve we were joined by T and D's aunt and uncle on their mother's side - my ex - and their son and his wife. All good folk. I remember lasagna, booze, laughter and music. Also hugs, kisses, dancing and craziness. D, T and I were the last to bed, but that's nothing new, we always are. Morning was bagels and beer, a hardy breakfast if ever there was one, and afternoon brought the parting. Lots of tears then all around. I swallowed mine in a manly way and tried not to look at anyone I wouldn't be seeing for a long time knowing my manly way would dissolve into blubbering if I did. Dara, Dave, Charly and I went back to NY in the rental car, Kira and Laura took the bus.

Ensuing days brought trips to Coney Island and its fabulous aquarium, Little Odessa NY's Russian section, where we sampled vodkas from Russia while a table of Russian men behind us all drank Grey Goose vodka from France. I figure they know which is the good stuff so I'm going with the Goose next time. We ate sushi one day at Charly's request and I had a Subway turkey sandwich to appease my craving on another. Thursday Woowoo Chuck and I trained up to Connecticut to have lunch with my 90 year old Uncle Horace and his wife Ruth. She is an Alzheimer's patient and has a full time nurse from Jamaica to help care for her. We ate at Unc's country club where I snuck in and put a napkin across my lap as fast as possible because I was wearing jeans. Jeans are not allowed and nor is smoking but Ralph Kiner, a club member and hall of fame baseball player is permitted to fire up a stogie when he's there. As I am a hall of fame jeans wearer I feel I should be allowed the same style courtesy. Long story short I didn't get caught. There were restaurants and bars and more laughter rounding out the week and another day long party on which I cooked french toast for everyone including two friends of D and K's. Somewhere along the way the Broncos lost to Kansas City and I still don't care. We left on a Monday that seems like yesterday and had a smooth trip home. Always glad to be there, but missing my "peeps" a lot already. As I've said, they are the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your peeps miss you, too! xox