Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's all novel to me.

I've got a couple of dvd's from an unknown origin. They are in bright yellow sleeves and have titles printed on their shiny silver surfaces. Some of the titles are: "Gunpowder", "Ice Age 2", "The End of Silence", "Unknown White Male", "Cocaine Cowboys", "The Champagne Gang", and "Bridge To Terabithia". I think they are movies, but when I try to play them I get kaleidoscope designs on the screen. Does anyone have any idea where I got these discs and what they are? I must have acquired them sometime ago, before I had a new computer. I'm guessing they wouldn't play on my old laptop, so I put them away and completely forgot about them.

Alrighty then.

And speaking of the old computer, I'm using it simultaneously with this one. It's over to my left grunting through its tasks. I won't say it's slow, but after I assign it a function, I come over to this one and write a novel before going back to it. Hold on a sec while I write another.

Call me Ishmael. (Wait! Somebody already wrote that one.) Okay, Howard Rourk stood naked on the edge of a cliff. (Hmmm, that sounds familiar too.) Maybe all the good beginnings have been already used. As the bullet entered the part of his chest where his heart should be, Ishmael Howard gave a derisive snort and continued toward his prey, the naked reptile gunman. (Bet nobody has used that one.) Wait here while I check the other computer.

I'm back. In addition to writing the first sentence of new novels, which is more than enough for me, I'm reading an entire book by by a writer named Neal Stephenson. Neal starts his with a haiku and then rambles on for 1152 pages of small print. Apparently brevity is not his long suit, which is a pretty funny thing to say if you ask me and I'm sure I heard someone do that. To keep from expiring during the pages of "Cryptonomicon", (see even the title is long) I'm also reading "Joyful Wisdom" by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche which is a nom-de-plume for a guy from the south Bronx posing as an asian monk. His real name is Fred Smoot but c'mon, who would read a spiritual text by Fred Smoot....and I'm reading in Spanish another Paulo Coelho tome entitled "Ser como el rio que fluye" which in English also means something. Hey, I'm a busy guy.

My main occupation of late though, is playing my new guitar and my new Ipod. I use the first for noise and the second for music.

If my Monkeymind logo is back at the top of this blog, my old computer will have completed its task and I am done for the day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good work, king of the multitask.

Anonymous said...

Tell me what you think of the lama's new one, will ya?