Thursday, March 05, 2009

Weather, Dogs and Other Stuff

The trees are being lashed by wind and rain and complaining loudly. I don't blame them. Despite the continual waves-crashing-on-the-beach like sound, I can hear one determined bird cackling maniacally somewhere to my left. Must be an avian version of the guy who finds it clever to say something he thinks funny during a moment of silence. Yeah, I know, that's me or one of my boys. It's the third consecutive morning that I've had to confront this weather mess when I let the pups out at 6:30 to do their daily do-do.

Make that four consecutive days. I wrote that first paragraph yesterday. I guess I should also point out that each morning serves up a decent rainbow that arcs across the persistent grey glop that is our sky, but I find little joy in that as it does not herald the end of the rain. It's anachronistic, if that's the word I'm looking for and knew how to spell.

What I mostly miss is my dog walk. I don't have nearly the grit needed to bend into the wind and rain while trying to restrain three frisky pups. Too bad I say, because the walk gives the dogs needed exercise and provides me a spell of what I think of as meditation. I used to do the traditional kind where one sits quietly and watches his thoughts drift by without judgment, but the dog walk serves to do the same thing and adds a modicum of calorie burning, cardio stimulating, aerobic action to the mix. Nice. It is, actually, all the religion I really need as I feel very close to the big Oneness while being dragged along by ever-in-the-present puppies. I wonder if they can access a third eye and be an impartial observer of their own thoughts. Puppies seem to lack a spiritual sense, but grown dogs, it seems to me, often tap into something apart from themselves. You can see them staring into that "middle distance", accessing who knows what. Probably though, it's just an unfamiliar scent traveling on the wind, but I like to think it is something more supernatural.

Special K arrives in Panama tomorrow and we are stoked and psyched and other euphemisms for excited about her visit. We truly hope the weather improves.

I may or may not be blogging during her stay, but I will be posting a sci-fi horror story within the next week or so.

Tal-way-go.

No comments: