Monday, September 07, 2009

A Couple of Jests

We have this book "Infinite Jest" that is so heavy, both intellectually and actually, that I get a double workout when I read it. My mind is stimulated and my upper body gets rigorously challenged. Nice. There is one small problem that arises from this, though, that I feel I should warn the unsuspecting of. (Never end a preposition with a sentence.) If you read "Jest" in bed, be aware that when your eyes grow sleepy and your mind drifts off to I Dream of Jeannie or J-LO or whomever broadens your horizons and lifts your, um, spirits Land, the book may crash down upon your chest causing your reverie to cosmically shift from sensual Arabian Nights to someone placing paddles on your chest and yelling "Clear." I know this for a fact.

We watched a movie on Hobo last night that had a title in English, "War Inc.", that I would never have guessed from the Spanish title it was listed under. (Never sentence a preposition to an end.) Luckily, I clicked on "info" and saw that one of the film's stars was Hilary Duff. I am a big fan of Hillary Duff's, so I watched the entire flick waiting for her to appear. It wasn't until movie's end that I realized I am actually a big fan of Hilary Swank. She wasn't in the picture. No matter, the movie was terrific; a skewering of Bush, Cheney, Haliburton and all things stupid in USA foreign policy at the time. I did miss Hilary S, though.

She was lost for a second time that night when the book came crashing down.

"CLEAR"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how strange it was for me to read this sentence from my pops: "I am a big fan of Hillary Duff."

*me, falling off my chair*

Zendoc said...

Actually, I had never even heard of Hilary Duff before the movie. Should I not be a fan?