Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Walking Live

I realize that every single one of you among the (ha ha) thousands reading this knows that the Heavyweight Champion of the world is Vitali Klitschko. Unless, of course, you are talking about the OTHER Heavyweight Champion of the world who is Vitali's brother, Wladimir Klitschko. This is knowledge shared by all and common as knowing that Vitamin C and other dietary supplements when taken on a regular basis, do, well, something. You know this because they make your pee turn yellow and that's a good sign, right? What you don't know, and what I am about to share, is the name of the Super Bantamweight Champion of the World. His name - and I am not making this up - is Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym. You get this on a need to know basis because I know you need to know.

Alrighty then. Let's get ready to rumble.

When we weren't "on our feet moving towards the door" in New York, I spent time (If you have it you should spend it) reading a graphic novel called "The Walking Dead." (It's called that I learned, principally because that is its title.) The book is about a post plague world in which zombies shuffle about trying to dine on plague immune survivors.

"The Walking Live", on the other hand, is a blog I am writing as we speak. Why it is on the other hand I don't know but I'll look into it and get back to you when I do. "Live" is about a band of humans roaming throughout New York drinking and dining incredibly well while frequently passing posters for a new movie entitled "Zombieland", which, of course, I can't wait to see. I also can't wait to see the sequels which will surely include "Thelma and Louise Meet the Klitschko Brothers For the Zombie Championship of the World." That should be a good one too.

To get a feel for the Walking Live, picture some or all of the following people gathered around a restaurant table, talking, laughing and making "yummy" sounds: DC Dave, DZ Dara, Special K, Jackson My Man, Homie #2 Todd, Woowoo Charly and Yers Truly. We were also joined and entertained on one occasion by Newwoo Joe. If you don't know any of these people...sorry, that's your loss.

Some of the tables we gathered around were at these places: Mezcals - good Mexican food, margaritas by the pitcher. The Stone Park Grill - Upscale and pricey but worth it because the staff was friendly and the food terrific. The Miracle Grill - best french fries EVER, which is saying something because how good can french fries get? El Lobo. Mura. Mizu. Grimaldi's - waited in line for an hour to get in, then waited awhile longer to get pizza! Can you believe that? Trust me, it was worth the wait. Two Boots, The River Cafe, Pershing Square, Sete, a few more I've forgotten and best of all, Dave and Dara's apartment where the fun seemingly never stops.

Woowoo Chuck and I also trained to Connecticut for an afternoon with my ninety something (and going strong) Aunt Ruth and Uncle Horace. A very nice day indeed.

A secondary...or maybe terciary...or maybe forthciary theme to our NYC visit, you know, other than zombies, food and fun, was the Wii (pronounced wee, in case like me, you are still living in a twentieth century cave) interactive (with your television) game. I am proud to say I defeated Woowwoo Charly in a three hole golf match. I am proud to say that, because it is the only contest I won in countless tries and I have to be proud of something. I was defeated in several pick up basketball games, (a cruel blow) sword fighting, (by every opponent) and, well, the list goes on. To heap even greater crow on my humble pie, I couldn't keep a beat on the drums, couldn't find the right notes on the guitar, and was booed off the stage singing while being a member of a Wii rock band. As soon as the Wii interactive napping game is introduced, I am going to kick some butt and take my revenge. Until then, to salve my nightly Wii wounds, I turned to Enttemenn's Chocolate Do-nuts. Taken with red wine, these diet blasters made my food foraging complete. I am fortunate they are only available once a year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I think you covered everything. Except for the botanic gardens...miss you so much - your red wine, chocolate donuts, silly wii golf game and all!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.