Friday, June 11, 2010

Futbol and Other Stuff

I may not be a first rate writer, but I am a first class second rate writer. Okay that's not a completely stolen line, I changed the word "composer" in Richard Strauss' version to "writer" in order to make it mine. So sue me.

The World Cup starts today and if I remember correctly, a thing that happens less and less frequently, four years ago I wrote something along the lines of The World Cup is not, as you might think, a device used to protect the planet's groin area. I mention this only because you might have missed it four years ago and also because I didn't steal the line from Richard Strauss. It was completely my own. You, however, are free to steal the line from me as plagiarism is flattery. Just don't make any money from it without giving me a cut.

Since moving here to Peerless Panama I have learned to love futbol as the game is called throughout the world excluding the U,S. where it has been dubbed soccer in an effort to keep it from being confused with football, another game entirely in which the ball meets foot far less than in futbol and should, by all rights, be called something else, say, Mayhem or Large People With Helmets and Protective Pads Fighting In A Semi Organized Manner To Score Points And Impress Cheerleaders, shortened to LPWHAPPFIASOMTSPAIC to save newspaper and Internet column space. Futbol is also referred to as "The Beautiful Game" and it is that, although, in slow motion it can be a mind number while football becomes far more dramatic. I should probably add that basketball, when slowed down becomes a graceful ballet and a graceful ballet becomes a series of still portraits, but that's another subject, Now where the hell was I?
Oh yeah, futbol. The World Cup kicks off today and yes, that is an intended pun, with a couple of games featuring teams I have no rooting interest for. (Never end a preposition with a sentence.) Tomorrow though, The U.S. takes on England and I will be siding with the Red, White and Blue principally because they are the underdogs and because I was accidentally born there. (Woowoo Charly says we choose our parents so my U.S. birth may not have been an accident, but that too, is another story.) My loyalties will be somewhat divided in that I follow the British Premiere League and will know all the players on the English National Team. And also, of course, because I am an Anglophile. One reason for that being this "News Flash" sent to me this morning by a friend: The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been a "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the Great Fire of 1666.

That's good stuff. Really really good stuff. Wish I could steal it but I can't. You know, conscience and all that Old Chum.

Alrighty then USA, go kick some...ball!

7 comments:

#2son said...

Sucks to be Green.

That was a boring 90 minutes. And what's with the clock? It was going backwards! And when the game was over they arbitrarily added four minutes. That's like a half hour in football time. And didn't you love those crazy commercials. Wait. there weren't any! The whole thing doesn't make sense!

Zendoc said...

When the ball goes out of bounds or a player is hurt the time spent is added at the end of the half/game. No commercials = terrific!
The more you watch the more you learn the more you like it.

Unknown said...

It was much better than the France/Mexico game Friday afternoon, which had to be the worst professional futbol game ever aired.
I'll take 1-1!
Also, the Celtics again played a fun game to watch last night. Kobe shoots for 30+, loses, the Celtics turn over the ball 500 times but shoot 70% and make the craziest half court pass I've ever seen, for a layup.
And yes, this is #2 daughter talking.

Zendoc said...

If that was really #2 daughter talking you would be Kira and Kira doesn't know a bounce pass from a moving pick. I'm thinking this is DZ's hubby Dave. If not, and this is really Dara, I have to say, Alrighty Then! Good to see you getting with The Urban Game. If you don't move to CA., you will have The Nets in your backyard real soon. If this is in fact Dave, you will have to consider that a move to Ca. will put you where hating the Lakers is just like living in NY and hating the Yankees. There's a certain symmetry there.

Unknown said...

Right, I can't count so good. #3 daughter! And it really was/is me. Will the Nets get any cooler in their move to Brooklyn? Cause right now they're lame.

#2son said...

You people are communistsfacistpinkos. That is a silly kickball game. I heard the reason soccer will never catch on in the US on NPR yesterday by a New York Times columnist. He said "It's just too simple. Americans like games with complexity and strategy and there just isn't any in soccer." I agree. And those voovoozelies (sp?) Those are really annoying.

#1 Son said...

Vulvazinas!
Go to the Onion.com
Watch- Soccer Finally Admits It's Gay