Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Name by any other Rose...

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." Blaise Pascal

I like the name Blaise if it is pronounced Blaze. I'm thinking that in Spanish Blaise would be pronounced Blah-ee-say which isn't as good.

I agree with the quote because it sounds true to me and also because Blaise was a smart guy and I am not. I like to agree with smart people when possible. Makes me look good.

You may have noticed if you read this blog on any sort of a regular basis that I like interesting names. I ran across one this morning on my grandson's Facebook page. A friend of his made a comment and her name was Magaly Ulate. (And probably still is.) Now THAT, Sportfans, is a NAME and the best I've heard since Quattro Formaggi.

When I'm introduced to new people - and I have already had, perhaps, a cocktail or two - I like to tell them my name is Donald Lancelot(slash)Willingham Walton The Third. Either that or I just stick out my hand and say, "Bond. James Bond" an idea I stole from #1 son who does the Connery accent much better than I do. Curiously, or maybe not so as most people don't pay much attention to names initially, I rarely get a response other than, you know, Bob Jones here, Real Estate or something like that. It's usually about then I suddenly notice my glass is nearing empty and that's a condition needing immediate rectification. (I've never used the word rectification before. Have you?)

I should mention The World Cup here, since the U.S. was robbed of a victory yesterday when a referee disallowed the winning goal for no reason at all unless you count the large amount of cash he was given by an infamous Slovenian underworld figure named Hereza U. Payoffski, but I won't.

What I will mention is that the U.S.Open Golf Tournament is underway, which is a good thing to be under, and I failed to qualify for it yet again this year. I was beaten out by some eighteen year old Japanese kid named Itchycowpie who earlier this year shot a 58, which, for those of you who don't know golf, is, well, fantastic. Otherwise I'm sure I would have been there matching Tiger stroke for stroke. (No, not those strokes, Dirtymind, the other strokes.) Ah well, I'll get 'em next year.

Magaly Ulate, Quattro Formaggi, Blaise Pacal, Butras Butras
Golly (spelling is not important) Donald Lancelot/Willingham Walton The Third. Now we're talking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm. i'm stumped for cool names. but cool post!

#2son said...

What he really said was "I'm Bombed. James Bombed." And then we laughed because he was.

I have to say that football referees can have a huge effect on the outcome of a game, but I've never seen a game literally stolen like that.

Happy Dad's day!

#1 Son said...

Mullah Mohammed Achmed el Rasuli the Magnificent.
And where the f@*k did you find that picture of him?

Zendoc said...

Me either #2.

Who can ever forget ....The Magnificent?!

The picture came from Heather's Facebook page.

#2son said...

I like julie.

#1 Son said...

Ha ha ha.. I remember that