Thursday, August 12, 2010

New and Movies

I often arrive here at the keyboard with my Monkeymind numbed by news. It is my morning habit to wake up and warm up by perusing Yahoo and other Internet info sources before moving on to write. This morning I learned that police in Buffalo, NY, during a routine traffic stop, arrested a man for having a live cat in the trunk of his car marinating in oil and peppers. How horrible can it get? I mean everyone knows that cat is best served with dill. On the brighter side, I also learned that Ramadan began yesterday and the Red Sox have a player named Saltalamacchia. Ramadan and Saltalamacchia are fun names to say aloud. Sal-tah-la-mock-ee-ah! Sounds like the answer to the question, what do you do to improve the taste of Mockia?

Alrighty then, off and running. Okay, inching along one word at a time.

We rented and watched two movies yesterday. Now as everyone knows except Shirley in Bayonne who writes in to say, "Tell me something I don't know" I've never met a movie I didn't like. These two, however, were close to qualifying. Woowoo Charly begs to differ regarding the first, but I don't allow differing here on the blog, so I just told her to quit begging. The movie was ostensibly about the Army's experiments with "remote viewing" and mentally messing with goats. It was played half seriously, half comically and neither half really worked in this reviewer's humble opinion. No wait! Make that exalted opinion! It's my blog; I can make my opinions exalted if I want to. The second movie had Denzell Washington trekking across a post apocalypse landscape to deliver a mysterious book to a mysterious place. The book turned out to be The Bible as memorized by Denzell and the place was Alcatraz. There were some decent special effects driven, unbelievable fight scenes - I can't remember the last believable fight I saw in a movie - but the flick was mostly predictable. The message at movie's end, and this was indeed a message movie, was that Christianity was now saved and would flourish again. Both Woowoo and I wondered what part religion played in the apocalypse to begin with and was it now starting all over again, but hey, that's just us whackos noting that "my God is better than your God" thinking hasn't worked out well for mankind so far.

Last night we watched "Star Trek" the movie that was a prequel to the television series. We had first seen this flick on a plane a year ago. It was a treat to now view it on a larger screen. On my rating scale of No Fun, Some Fun, Fun, and Big Fun, this one got the Big designation.

1 comment:

Joe F. Clark said...

Man, I have to tell you I thought the new Star Trek movie was also BIG!

Regarding the marinating cat debacle...dude...really??