Sunday, May 28, 2006

rambling man

Drove to Gualaca (pronounced wah-lah-ka as in, wah-lah-ka da good cigars) yesterday with Charly aboard reading aloud from a tome entitled, "TheBook of Understanding." The book was written by Osho, which is not, as you might suspect, a government agency, but a rather serious, contemplative and insightful, fellow human being. Or is at least so if Gus is any judge as he was in the back nodding at every word. Unless it was vibration moving his head about. The Beast is not the smoothest of rides. The book starts, " I do not believe in believing. My approach is to know, and knowing is a totally different dimension. It starts from doubt, it does not start from believing. The moment you believe in something you have stopped inquiring. Belief is one of the most poisonous things to destroy human intelligence." Well now, a thought like that will capture even my wandering attention in speedy fashion and Gus was all ears as well. Of course Gus being a cocker spaniel is mostly all ears to begin with. So there we were whizzing along listening to concepts like Zorba the Buddha and watching the landscape change from mountainous to prairieous (it is too a word). Or rather I was. Charly's eyes were on the book and Gus, while pondering the philosophy, was also alert to defend us against any foolhardy dog or cat who might decide to attack our vehicle. He can puff up and snarl like an insane grizzly when dangerous tire biters are about. Of course at this point you don't care about that. You just want to know more about Osho and Zorba and the like. Sorry, that's not my job. You will have to read it for yourself. I will tell you this much. It's fascinating stuff. My job though, is not to inform you of the fascinating. My job is to supply you with the boring because without it you would have no balance. I know Osho would agree. So, with that cleared up and still in mind, I'll continue to drone on.
My point, hidden, obscure and unclear as it is, is to relate what we do when we drive to anywhere further than an hour away. I drive, Charly reads aloud, Gus does dog stuff and we learn...things. Sometimes Charly reads Spanish and I translate what I think she is saying. Gus likes that a lot because having been born here in Panama he understands Spanish better than we do. So there you have it, another episode for no reason at all.

I suppose though, that for clarity, a thing that I and the Bush administration find difficult to achieve, I should mention that we went to Gualaca to get our car registration renewed. A thing we accomplished because we are accomplished people.

No comments: