Sunday, May 28, 2006

what was I saying

I stand before you this morning ladies and gentlemen with absolutely nothing to say. I realize this has never stopped me in the past as I've always been able to seize on some small aspect of my own overly examined self or some kernal of interest in something obscure, i.e. long Spanish words, to talk about, but today as Chandler from Friends would say when speechless... I got nothin.

Well not quite. There is Arianna Huffington. Now there is a name to say aloud more than once. Arriana Huffington. Isn't she a character in " Where the Wild Things Are"? Arianna Huffington. C'mon, how can that be a real name? If I hadn't seen her myself on one political show or another, I would have to guess she was fictional. This morning while perusing the Common Dreams internet site in search of Molly Ivans latest column, I stumbled on Arianna's. It was an interesting bit about politicians running scared, but I'm not here to espouse the party line, because actually, I don't have one. I come not to praise Caesar, but to make fun of him. No, what caught my attention, a thing that needs to be caught as it jumps around like an A.D.D. patient on crack, is Arrianas use of the description, "pusillanimous poltroons."
No need to run to your dictionaries, I already have the scoop. It means cowardly cowards. A redundancy for sure, but a darn good one. I have heard this short alliteration used before, but I can't quite pull the who and where of it from the arcane knowledge section of my brain that is used to house things like this and Stan Musial's lifetime batting average. I'm thinking Spiro Agnew. He of the "effete effeminate snobs" fame. Well that and making "nolo contendre" a theretofore seldom used plea...common. (Does anyone out there have any idea what I'm talking about?) (I told you, I got nothin.) Nevertheless, historical and redundant as it may be, I feel strongly that pusillanimous poltroons should once again become part of our family's (families?)(Kira, which is the correct possessive?) daily argot. I therefore instruct you all to use pp at least once a day for the next week. You will all find many opportunities as you all have bosses, rivals and are aware of the New York Yankees. Pusillanimous Poltroons. Let's get after it.

What I am doing here, the big picture, is getting back to the habit of writing everyday. I had lost the discipline. When I feel like I have opened the creative locks of my mental dam sufficient to let the good stuff flow, I have unfinished pieces I need to get back to. In the meantime, while I WD 40 the lock innards, you'll just have to put up with me.

No comments: