Monday, January 22, 2007

Arachnophobia?

I've been neglecting the old blog of late, leaving it to fend for itself. Been working on another writing project that has captured my imagination and locked it in a holding cell where dark hooded torturers are doing their best to squeeze it dry. I'm thinking they're either CIA, FBI, NSA or WKRP in Cincinatti, but it's more likely my own subconscious trying to pin a thought down long enough to get it on paper. No matter, I've escaped, for the moment at least, though I'm sure the guilt police will drive me back to Word and coerce me into finishing the other thing shortly. In the meantime, here's the blog:

(There's a long pause here while I search my brain, my mind and my pockets for something, anything really, to blog about. My pockets have turned up some lint and on a good day that would be enough, but as exciting a topic as lint is, ours for instance, is always blue, I think I'll leave that for another day.)

(Another long pause ensues while I gaze out the window in search of a muse, any muse, pick a muse, don't tell me what it is, just put it back in my brain and shuffle. Is this it? No? Damn!)

Two nights ago we had a small spider invasion. Let me rephrase that. Two nights ago we had a small invasion of spiders. The spiders, themselves, were in no way small. Before hopping into bed...flopping into bed is more accurate, I had fly swattered three of the totally ink black arachnids, apologizing to each one as I took its life because, after all, what argument have I got beyond self defense for snuffing the poor critters. Each one I flattened had a body about the size of a dime and extremely long legs. They were also very fast but, alas for them, not fast enough. Woowoo Charly and I find it mildly insomnia producing to leave visible spiders climbing the walls as we settle into bed and turn out the lights, which, I suppose, is my second argument for bug murder, so I cleared the room with my nine millimeter, hand held, semi automatic, made in Hong Kong, red plastic swatter before turning in. All went well after that until some time in the dead of the night, at least I think it was the dead of the night although I'm not actually certain which part of the night is dead, when Charly, returning from the bathroom said, "be careful when you go in there, because the mother of all spiders is lurking about." Or something like that.
It's not an exact quote,but close enough to use the " " marks. Later, when the night was rising from the dead like a zombie, I did have occasion to visit the bathroom and sure enough there was a spider of super spider dimensions scurrying about. I ran for my weapon, but on returning to the john - another word I have no understanding of. Why isn't it the fred? -the spider was gone. "Did you kill it? my wife asked as I returned to the bed. "No" I said. "It was carrying a sign that said, you are safe, we're after the woman" just because I'm a funny funny guy. Woowoo Charly didn't think so. And the spider remains both large and at large...if at large means on the loose and not something further about size, which it sounds like.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You are safe, we're after the woman."

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

If only D were there, she'd save you both. You know how bugs love to gnaw on her.

ps. what ever happened to capturing the critters and carrying them outside INTO THE JUNGLE WHERE THEY BELONG?

Anonymous said...

"spider at large" reminds me:

Did ya hear about the psychic midget who escaped from jail? Headlines all over the city today, SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE!

Christopher Bolton said...

Baby. Seriously. About the midget joke - I'd feel bad if I didn't put up a caveat so: it's a bad idea to gain confidence in a joke because I find it funny.

I find Corn Flakes funny.

And killer spiders don't get put back in the jungle. They have killer instinct which takes them back towards things they can kill. Like people.

Good job zendoc! Except you missed the poobah. Gives you something to do tonight.

Anonymous said...

Who laughed SO HARD at "diddly I say kiddlies?" that I thought he was MAKING FUN OF ME?

And then who told the joke at a Lake Placid bar and got this response from cowboy/Olympic luger Al: "I wish it was the olden days and I was carryin' my pistol. I'd shoot you just fer fun."

And then who STILL thought it was funny enough to share with all his buddies back home?

Ahem. All's I'm sayin' is: he might not want to gain such confidence in his gal's jokes when her favorites are for nine-year-olds.

Christopher Bolton said...

copy.

and perhaps we should save our flirting for somewhere's other than your father's blog.

what's woo-woo?

Anonymous said...

Well, alright. But I just had to share all that about the "diddly" joke since it came from my dear old dad. He saves all the really corny ones for me.

Pops? What's woo-woo?

Zendoc said...

You younguns listen up. Dis here ain't no loveline. Yall wanna talk dat talk, den slip out behind the barn or sumpin.

Woowoo is...mostly...a euphemism for new age. As far as I know Special K, you coined it. I just attached it to Charly because it fits so well. When she starts vibrating at high frequencies and deriving wisdom from crystals, wooeeeuuu is the sound I hear in my head. Woowoo is just easier to type.

Anonymous said...

I aint sceerd a no spiders. It's em ladybugs dats deadly.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Pops, you gotta talk to #2Son about spiders! He knows how to pick 'em up and hypmotize 'em and everything!

Ladybugs? Really? LADYBUGS?