Monday, January 08, 2007

Words of Windom

Adding to my Spanish vocabulary one word at a time. The latest? Cuervo. That's Spanish for crow. Now you get it. Jose Cuervo = Joe Crow. Joe Crow Tequila. Definetly loses something in the translation.

I won't say it has been windy lately, but that howling outside the house doesn't sound like banshees. Banshees are higher pitched, more screechy. I know, I dated a couple back in the day. Besides, I don't think Banshees could stand up out there. It's too windy. (Well, wouldn't you know? I just said it's windy three sentences after I said I wouldn't. It's getting so I can't trust what my fingers will tap out. )

Actually, I brought the whole thing up because I'm looking for negatives to write about Panama. I want to do my part to discourage the invasion of wrinkled, white haired, decrepit, old people like myself who are predicted to arrive here from the States in the next ten years. Call it a preservation of beauty quest. Sure, I'm pissing into the plentiful wind, the inevitable is the inevitable, but I've got to try. I was told recently by a high white horse souse...I mean a high, white house source, (yeah, I know, old joke) that over a million United Statesians - Estadounidenses in Spanish ( try wrapping your tongue around that puppy) - will set up residence here in that time span, making them, and this I find abysmal, one fourth of the population of Panama! Is there no end to it Michelangelo? Is there no end? (Who knows that reference?) Anyway, it's been real windy and noisy of late while Nicaragua and Guatamala (I'm sure) remain quiet and calm. Spread the word... fast.

And in other non news, Woowoo Charly finished two more books while I was writing the last paragraph. The reason you don't find her book list on the web is because it is roughly the same as that of the Library of Congress... only longer. She wouldn't want to be redundant. Even the wind can't turn pages faster than she does.

Joe Crow. Can you believe it? Next thing you know they'll be telling me chile is a country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Banshees? Ha.

"Invasion of wrinkled, white haired, decrepit, old people like myself"? Ha. Kind of disturbing, actually. I'll help spread the word that Panama SUCKS.

Michelangelo reference? Over my head. Do explain.

Mom's personal reading library = Library of Congress. Now THAT I know is not a joke. Why do you suppose she reads so much, anyway? To confirm everything she already knows? Those omniscient ones, you gotta be careful.

Zendoc said...

The reference was from the movie of the same name. It starred Rex Harrison and Charlton Heston. Heston played Michaelangelo. Of course he played him as Moses just as he did for every character he ever played. Maybe he was Moses.

Woowoo Charly is not omniscient, but she is omnipresent and that's a good thing.