Friday, November 23, 2007

Nothing...again

I have nothing to say today. I am mum, mute, closed mouthed and silent. There is not one single thing that needs to be said from my point of view. Not one. Not even Go Broncos or my foot's asleep, so I'll sit here and muse, ponder and meditate which are not as you might think three of Santa's reindeer, some of the seven little people or a California law firm. No, they are what I am doing. Right now. As I sit here.

Still nothing.

Alrighty then. I'm not a man who is afraid to ask for help in troublesome circumstances - although asking for directions when driving is still out of the question - so I'm inquiring, "what do you do when you've got nothing?" C'mon, help me out here, give me a hint will ya?

Okay, I understand. You don't want to give up your secrets. When you've got nothing you go to your bag of tricks - which is something right there - and you pick one to suit the circumstance. I don't have a bag of tricks. Wish I did. I can see how it would come in handy. What I've got is a big bag of nothing. You could root around in there for days and not find a thing. It's empty I'm telling you. A vacuum. A hole in space. An empty vessel waiting to be filled.

Still waiting. I've heard that stuff is drawn to a vacuum.

Still nothing.

I've watched five movies in the last two days. Do I want to comment? Nah. Nothing there. The weather's changing for the better, but do I want to write about the weather? Uh uh, don't think so. The guy across the street is said to have died last week. I saw him drive up and park his pickup yesterday. Can ghosts drive?

Okay, now there's a topic. Ghosts.

So you see, you just need to wait awhile. Patience is the best policy, someone said. Or was it me? I've got plenty of patience but of course now I'm out of time. Out of time? How can you be out of time the wise man asked, it's endless.

And there's another topic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an idea. Take the alphabet, start with "A" and come up with a noun a verb and an object, all that start with the same letter.

The aardvark ate artichokes.

Presto! you've got the beginnings of a short short story.

Zendoc said...

True, but other than "Swell Veldt" which I have yet to finish, I like to write stories off-line. Makes them easier to edit and rewrite.

I may try just one though.

Unknown said...

Did the guy across the street really pass away? The gregarious man we met when we were there?