Monday, May 05, 2008

Double Bummer

Yesterday I wrote what I thought was a sensitive and touching blog about the tragedy at Churchill Downs Saturday. A beautiful horse was put down after it broke both of its front ankles. When I went to post the blog, I got that "we cannot display this page" note we sometimes get when the Internet is blipping in and out. When I returned to the previous page, my blog was gone. All that was left was the title, Eight Belles, the name of the horse.

I'm still bummed about both,loss of horse and blog.

I'll get back here, when I've cheered up a bit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had wondered about that post. Now I understand. It was a shame about both.

Anonymous said...

I was saddened and outraged at the news. I wish I could read what you wrote, Pops, I bet it was good.

A book I've been working on for months came out this week, called THE SOUL OF A HORSE - a really beautiful and provocative look at the way humans misunderstand horses.

Needless to say, Joe Camp, my author (and the creator of a little dog phenomenon named Benji - you may have heard of it) has been in the media a lot this week giving his opinion on

(1) the good news that a horse finally won the derby without wearing metal shoes (which, Joe argues, are unnecessary and detrimental) and

(2) the dangers of racing horses that are too young, and the ethics of racing in general.

He's a very demanding author - part of the reason I've been working 12-hour days for weeks now, but I hope it pays off. His message is a good one. And timely.

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me that you compose your blog in the web browser? Who taught you to use technology, Homer?

Zendoc said...

What's technology? No, seriously, I did learn from Homer. Homer Simpson.

Anonymous said...

"Oh, so they have internet on computers now!"
-Homer Simpson

Anonymous said...

Here are some other favorites:

"Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. "

"I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaming. "

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love! "