Saturday, May 17, 2008

We pause for a word from your local station

There are a number of reasons why writing a story, you know, live-and-in-person on a blog is not a good idea. First off, you the reader have to follow a very rough, scratch it out version of the story that may not be particularly representative of the final draft. Additionally, if I pass a few days without writing, you have to scroll back through the blog to pick up the thread of the story where I left off. And then, much later, when I do post the last hopefully much improved version, the story's surprises and sense of newness will be gone. In between the first and the last versions of the story there may be several rewrites and adjustments that you will NOT get to see, so the process isn't even particularly educative. The one major benefit I find in creating a story on a blog is that it keeps me pushing forward because I know that some of you will bug me if I leave you dangling for too long. I will continue to write "Keely" on the blog, but after that I'll probably keep my junk to myself until I can drop it on you in some sort of finished form. (Actually, to me there is no final draft. It's just the last draft. I'm always sure the piece can be better, but I quit when it seems good enough and I'm sick of playing with it.)

Sometime in the next few days I will post the lastest version of "The Clearing" which has a new title. It has been altered greatly and is, I think, better.

No comments: