Saturday, May 24, 2008

Keely Pt. 8

We wait for Keely to return” I told them, even though there she was, reclined in the chair, tubes and wires and whatnot attached, less than ten feet from us. When her eyes suddenly opened a short while later, we restrained ourselves as she gained her bearings and then engulfed her in a pile of hugs.

“I’m sure Grandpa has filled you in on what’s going on,” Keely said when all had quieted. “Jorge Hsub is the worst terrorist this planet has ever seen. He has only one agenda and that is the complete annihilation of mankind. He must be stopped and only we can do it. It would take months to program the DNA of others into the system and by then it may be too late. Hsub, if left alone, can probably by now find his way here to the Institute through my life stream. I have been working on a second project for many months that will enable me to move through vast distances in a manner similar to how I move through time. What I’m talking about is star travel. If Hsub learns my method we will never be able to find him. He will wreak havoc throughout the galaxy and, who knows, maybe further. We cannot fail, so this is what we must do to stop him.”

After Keely explained her plan everyone was suited up in some sort of silvery material that made them look like characters from one of her dad’s old UFO flicks. I was not exempted from this costuming even though I wouldn’t be “traveling.” The suit had some special characteristics that Keely had devised for our safety and the detriment of anyone else who came too close. It was an intricate part of the plan.

When Keely’s mom, dad, brothers and uncle were ready – each had gotten a pep talk – they were tubed and wired and tranced and I couldn't guess what else on their way to the Past. I watched them all, one by one, drift into what seemed a deep sleep. Keely went first. She was to lead the others through Hsub’s lifeline and post them at sites throughout his history. There were not too many places in his adult life that he could slide to where he would be far enough away from Keely’s clan members that they wouldn’t be able to reach him quickly. To paraphrase an ancient fighter from my days, he could run but he could not hide.

I would hear from all of them about what occurred that day while they were gone. First though, I must tell you what happened here…in the Present.

No comments: