Friday, May 30, 2008

The Tormenta

We here in paradise with weather just had the mother of rainstorms. (Or is it a mutha of a rainstorm? You decide.) Parts of Boquete were without power for most of two and a half days. We, alas, live in one of those parts. The tormenta (storm) blew in Wednesday and blew out sometime last night. Our power returned at exactly thirty five minutes past midnight and announced itself by turning on lights we had forgotten to switch off and a chorus of electronic noises from computers, printers, telephones, microwaves, etc. I gave forth with a token hurrah, turned out the lights and returned to bed. My eyes were still tired from reading by flashlight.

Earlier in the day I had ventured out just to experience the wind and the wet and I enjoyed that immensely although my "rain clothes" failed and I was thoroughly soaked during my walk back from B and L's house. I had donned an old "waterproof" golfing jacket, old as in ten or more years, and a pair of, again, "waterproof" sweat pants made of some sort of synthetic material and neither lived up to their billing. The rain fell throughout my walk at a steadily wind driven oblique angle with periods of here I come hard at ya that literally felt like buckets of it were being dumped on my head. I found it a gas and kicked at puddles like Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain. It would have taken a helluva big orchestra though, to be heard above the din of the wind and rainfall, so I just hummed the tune in my head.

When I got back to the house, I checked all of RTGFKAR's drainage systems, four inch pipes dug underground where previous storms had shown us the runoff spots and they were all working perfectly. Kudos RTGFKAR!

There were lunch, scrabble, dinner and books to round out the day and then early to bed with flashlights.

This morning we awoke to if not sunny skies at least dry ones and troubling family news on the Internet. Storm worries seem trivial by comparison.

No comments: