Thursday, October 08, 2009

Clandestine Clinic

Fine, thanks. Still coughing up amphibians, but other than that, feeling better.

Doctora Ana Lopez is a sweet young thing, albeit formal and matter-of-fact. After stethoscoping me here and there while telling me to breathe deeply so I could show off the roiling and rumbling ruckus in my lower lungs, she sentenced me to a three day affair with her nurse starting that very day.

Off we scampered to our own private room where, after I had rolled up my sleeves in the classic let's get to work gesture, Nurse I-Don't-Know-Her-Name smiled and indicated that bare arms won't do. What she wanted she told me in Spanish, was that I should drop trou and climb up on the examining table so that she could do her thing. Alrighty then I thought, but being both shy and coy, I suggested in English that she go first. To clarify, I said "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours." She stood there grinning but not moving, so I took the initiative and climbed up on the white paper covered hard as rock cot-like table and scooched my jeans down about half moon. The needle she then stuck in my left cheek bore some chemical that could accurately be called liquid fire. Yikes, I thought, what lousy foreplay! These medical types are a bunch of freaks. But before I could voice my complaints, Nurse Now-Smiling-Hugely said "Listo" and I could tell that even though it had been a little painful for me, it had been good for her. A satisfied woman is a joy to behold. We made plans to get together and do it all over the next day.

By the third day though, (today) the magic was gone. The shine, the glow, the very luster of our naughty affair had dulled to a matter of ordinary routine. When I pulled up my jeans at the end of the session, I turned to my smiling, needle wielding intimate and told her we just couldn't go on. It was hasta la vista and ciao baby for me and her. I had to get down the road.

I'll say this for her. She took it well. Her smile never wavered. It still lit up the room like a power surge even though behind the shine I could see the hurt settling in. She'll be all right, I thought. She's a tough one. She'll survive. Someday another pale pink rounded rump will find its way to her table and she'll happily plunge her needle to the hilt in the cheek of her choice. When she does, I thought, I hope for just moment, she'll think of me.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great post!

Anonymous said...

omg. (that's oh my god in twitter blog text email speak - and i know how much you LOVE that phrase, pops!)

how funny.

does mom know?