Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Doughnuts and the Demented

I just ate a doughnut. RTGFKAR picked up a box of six at PriceSmart yesterday per my request. It wasn't very good. It was a little stale and much of the icing had stuck to the top of the box they came in. I had to scrape it off and put it back on the doughnut. It was, though, nevertheless, exactly what I needed. It contained enough sugar to sweeten a curmudgeon's disposition, which, now that I think of it, is a good secondary reason for eating it in the first place. My primary reason for ingesting the sugary grease bomb being that I wanted something I could actually taste.

I've noticed of late that if a food item isn't spicy, salty or sweet, it is as savory as a lot of mushy or chewy nothing; like munching a hunk of cheap white bread lacking a spread. In other words, borrrrring. I realize this is part of my less than healthy condition, but I want you to know I am not complaining. Really. I can now eat doughnuts, chips, french fries as a salt delivery system, green chile by the bucket and not worry for a moment about what they might be doing to my heart, arteries or waistline. I can eat like RTGFKAR who never worries about those things anyway. (And, I should point out, seems healthy as a horse if we're talking about, you know, a horse that is, uh, healthy.) Eating, when you are feeling less than chipper is all about taste because, what-the-hell, eating to maintain good health, vigor and a slender profile have already gone bye-the-bye.

Pass me that one with the gooey chocolate on top.

I was eating cocktail peanuts not nearly salty enough and drinking the prescribed red wine while watching "Boogeyman 2" last night. It was a typical gore fest, but I liked the premise. A group of young people are housed in an institution where they are being helped to overcome their phobias. We had an afraid of the dark, an afraid of germs, an afraid of the outdoors, an afraid of being fat, a girl who was afraid of her inner thoughts so she cut herself repeatedly to distract her from them, and our heroine who was simply afraid of the Boogeyman. Each of them, excluding the heroine, dies hideously as a result of their fears because that is what the Boogeyman does, he preys on your fears. Nice. A better director, a better budget, more sex and less gore could have made this a good horror flick. As it was...just missed. I give it two stars.

Ah well, maybe tonight I'll find a better scary to eat by. I'm thinking a fried doughnut, salted and dripping sugared grease will be just the thing. Pass the Tabasco.

No comments: